![]() |
| Scene of Constable's 'Hay Wain' |
Well – I've finally
made it to East Anglia! I've been saying for the last two years that
I must really get to the east side of the country a) because I've
never really been here (apart from day trips to Speedway venues! and
one three-day coach tour with Mum) and b) because its flat!
I set off from Jeni's
cottage in Wells on Wednesday, 4th June and made my way to
the A303, then on to the M3 and northbound onto the M25. I haven't
driven on the M25 for many years – it doesn't improve! However, I
had no major hold-ups but it seemed like an awfully long way to
Junction 28 where I turned off onto the A12 and headed for
Colchester. My destination was Old Hall Community, East Bergholt and
it was only as I drove into the village that I had a real deja-vu
moment – I had been here before! It was one of the few places that
the coach tour had stopped on our whirlwind tour of 'Constable
Country and Jimmy's Farm'. I was so busy checking that it definitely
was the same place that I drove straight past the entrance to Old
Hall and had to go some way before I could turn and retrace my steps.
It is only the second
time that I have stayed in a community (the first time was in June
2010 at Canon Frome Court in Herefordshire) and, superficially it is
very similar. There are about 40 residents, all owning their own
units, and contributing to the running of the farm and vegetable
gardens. The big difference between the two is that here all meals
are taken communally in the Refectory/Kitchen – its amazing to see
the ease with which people cater for upwards of 30 people at each
meal! I think the food is a big draw for lots of the younger WWOOFers
– I have not felt hungry at all since I've been here. If you get
peckish between the (cooked) lunch and the large supper, you can
always have toast with a variety of toppings and tea and coffee are
always on tap, thanks to a water heater. The building is a huge old
house opposite the church and parts of it date back to the 1700s.
After being the 'Big House' it became a convent for a closed order of
nuns and then a monastery for some monks who sold it to the founders
of the community in 1974 when their numbers had declined so greatly
that it was no longer viable as a monastery. There is even a bell
tower and the bell is rung to let everyone know when meals are ready.
I went to Dedham one Sunday walking along the river. It is a couple
of miles away as the crow flies but you could hear the meal bell
quite distinctly from there!
![]() |
| East Bergholt Bell Cage |
East Bergholt is the
birthplace of John Constable and many of his more famous paintings
are of scenes in the locality. Its other claim to fame is its unique
church bell cage. The bell cage was constructed in the 1500s as a
temporary measure until the tower was completed. There is still no
tower and the bells still reside in their original framework to one
side of the churchyard. The bell ringers practice on a Wednesday
evening, so I went to see the bells in action. Obviously, because the
bells are at ground level, they cannot be rung in the conventional
manner, so have to be swung from the top of the bell and pushed from
side to side. Several of the community members are ringers and they
say that once the bell starts to swing it is not heavy to move, but
it is difficult to control the rate of swing and therefore the timing
of the changes. They all wear ear defenders but I imagine most of the
bellringers of yesteryear were as deaf as a post from being in such
close proximity.
On my second morning
here I woke early and, as it was a beautiful morning, I breakfasted
and then walked down to Flatford Mill which is only about twenty
minutes away. At that time of day it was very peaceful and, although
the scene is not quite the same now, you could almost imagine Mr
Constable sitting there with his easel painting 'The Hay Wain'. I
imagine that, later in the day, it bears very little resemblance to
that peaceful, pastoral scene as it must be a huge tourist draw.
The community owns 70
acres of land and there are several large vegetable plots and soft
fruit areas that need constant attention at this time of year. There
are usually two or three WWOOFers staying at any one time during the
summer months and they are generally used for weeding and planting of
vegetables and have little to do with the animal residents unless
they express a burning desire to milk a cow or collect eggs. While I
have been here there have been a young couple from Italy, and girls
from France, Germany, Spain and Switzerland plus one older British
guy who comes every year as an unofficial WWOOfer and is an
easy-going hard worker. The Spanish WWOOFer was a successful business
woman on holiday from Granada, so we were able to talk about that
beautiful city and if I go back some day perhaps we could meet up.
Who knows?
Although I have not had
much to do with the animals here, I did manage to get to help on
sheep shearing day, hustling sheep through the pen and occasionally
rolling fleeces. They have a small flock (about 35) of Lincoln
Longwools, which are a rare breed, and shearing them nearly broke the
shearer's heart, and his back, as they are large animals and very
overweight, for the most part, and their fleece is like very matted
dreadlocks! It was a boiling hot day and at first he was working in
full sun but, eventually, we reconstructed the shearing pen in the
shade of the barn and I got very 'mumsie' and made him drink copious
amounts of water each time he finished a sheep! I have accepted the
offer of a fleece to add to my collection but, as yet, have no idea
what I will use it for. Due, I suppose, to my obvious sheep
knowledge, the man who generally looks after the sheep almost
exclusively, decided it was OK to go on holiday with his wife for a
week, leaving me to look after the flock which includes a poorly
sheep and her equally poorly lamb! I am told that it is the first
time that Jake has ever relinquished care of 'his' flock to a visitor
(he rarely lets residents help) so I suppose I should feel honoured,
rather than anxious! They are due back today and I have managed to
keep both animals alive until their return! I think the lamb has
turned the corner now and seems a lot more lively but the ewe,
although she eats well, drinks well and has normal 'bodily
functions', seems unable to get to her feet. I wonder if it could be
to do with her weight problem (she is a tad obese) as it seems to be
a mechanical issue rather than a physical illness. Her lamb has
learned to suckle from her while she is lying down – clever little
lad! I have christened him Claude, for some reason.
I WWOOFed here
officially for two weeks but, as I had been unable to find another
host until 5th July, I am now staying on as a paying guest
but expected to contribute 15 hours a week to the community (as do
the residents). This means that I have been able to pick and choose
what I do, so have made some butter and yesterday I made a large
Cheddar cheese which, unfortunately, won't be ready to eat until
September. In between jobs I have been travelling around the Suffolk
countryside, and also indulging in a bit of outdoor wool spinning.
I had not realised that
Suffolk was such a beautiful county – it is not completely flat,
but rolls and swells gently. Admittedly, there are no major hills (at
40metres above sea level, the community is perched on a high point in
the landscape) but there are lots of trees and rivers and incredibly
pretty villages. Many of the old cottages are thatched and painted
lovely pastel colours and, in Lavenham, there are many jettied Tudor
half-timbered houses with remnants of pargeting on their façades.
The reason that there are so many original Tudor houses in the towns
in this area is that it was once a rich and thriving wool area (a bit
like the Cotswolds) but the decline in the trade was so fast that,
instead of being pulled down or modernised over the years by their
owners, most of the merchants' houses were left to decay or split
into smaller dwellings for the ordinary townsfolk. In the early part
of the twentieth century this architectural heritage was recognised
and steps taken to preserve and restore these beautiful buildings.
The nearby town of Hadleigh also has some beautiful old merchants'
houses plus a huge church, out of all proportion to the size of the
town. Unfortunately, on the day that I was having a wander round
there was a wedding in the church – I saw the groom and best man
arriving on a large, well-polished John Deere tractor!
On another day I went
to visit Sutton Hoo, the site of one of the biggest Anglo-Saxon boat
burials ever discovered in Europe. There are many burial mounds set
close together in one area of this estate and in 1939 Mrs Edith
Pretty, the owner of the 'big house', decided to get a local man to
excavate one of the largest mounds. Several of the graves had already
been ransacked by treasure seekers but they had not dug down far
enough in this mound to disturb what lay beneath – a large boat,
ninety feet long, containing the remains of the most wonderful
Anglo-Saxon artefacts. The original 'hoard' is housed in the British
Museum but the National Trust has an exhibition here of facsimiles
and it is really stunning. Because of the acid nature of the sandy
soil in this part of Suffolk, all of the natural substances have been
eaten away – in fact, the ship that was excavated was just a stain
in the sand where the timbers used to be and some rusty nails!
However, the gold, silver and iron work all remain and are
exquisitely carved and ornamented with inlays and semi-precious
stones – even the horse harness of a warrior's horse found buried
near its master in a separate mound on the site.
![]() |
| The Ickworth Rotunda |
Continuing the
historical and cultural nature of my days off I have also visited
Framlingham Castle, of which only the massive curtain walls remain to
bear witness to its importance in the history of this country – it
was here that Mary Tudor was declared Queen and set out, in pomp, for
London, and Ickworth Park, home of the rather notorious Hervey
family, which consists of a huge, Italianate rotunda flanked by
curving wings. The family lived in one of the wings (now an hotel)
and used the rotunda as guest accommodation and to display their
collections. It now houses the huge collection of family silver and a
comprehensive collection of beautiful fans dating from the 1700s. I
found the building rather ugly but was captivated by the 5.5 acre
walled garden that lies a good distance from the house. At the moment
it is a huge, open space sown with wild flowers but, on the chance
discovery of the Head Gardener's diary and notebook from the turn of
the twentieth century, found in an old cupboard in 2009, there are
plans afoot to return it to its productive heyday over the next few
years – that will be fascinating to see.
I was lucky enough,
during the second weekend of my stay, to be present for the 40th
birthday of the community. The whole weekend was given over to
celebratory meals and the place was bulging at the seams as families
and friends of the residents arrived for the celebrations. As has
been the case for most of my stay here, the sun shone, and we ate two
of the 'formal' meals outside in the lovely gardens at the front of
the house – I even found a skirt amongst my possessions and donned
earrings as well! On the Sunday afternoon we had a birthday cake and
the oldest, original member made the ceremonial first cut. There are
still several original or very early members here and some of their
children have also returned to take up residence with their families.
I have stayed on as the
guest of Ruth and Richard (who used to live at Old Chapel Farm, in
Wales, where I WWOOFed several times) as all visitors have to be
'sponsored'. Its been good to catch up with them again and to see how
well they have integrated into the life of the community. Several
people have asked if I would consider living in a community but,
tempting as many aspects are of life here, I still don't think I
could 'live by committee' as I like to make my decisions and act on
them, not discuss them endlessly until some sort of agreement is
reached. I have loved my stay here, and would certainly come back
again to WWOOF or stay as a paying guest, but live here? I don't
think so.
![]() |
| Old Hall Community |





Doesn't sound like your Free Spirit Jan. but defiantly worth some Brownie Points with Lesley , waxing lyrical about her Wonderful Suffolk. well done again (Book?)
ReplyDelete