Sunday, 20 July 2014

Travels in Norfolk




Poppies in a wheat field
On the 5th July I bade farewell to Suffolk and headed about fifty miles north to the small town of Wymondham (pronounced 'Windham') which lies about ten miles to the south west of Norwich. My hosts were an ex-merchant navy Chief Engineer and his partner, a herbalist. I was slightly thrown to discover that they do not eat wheat-based foods, dairy or much sugar so my poor, uncomplaining gastric system had to adjust from the dairy-heavy diet of Old Hall, to a very different regime! Luckily they did buy milk for me to have on my muesli and in my tea but, after a couple of days I found I was quite happily drinking herbal teas and found very little hardship in the rest of the diet as it was all fresh produce from their vegetable gardens and polytunnels.

Their land was about a ten-minute walk from the house and I think they were hugely surprised when I declined the offer of a bicycle and much preferred to walk! If they'd ever seen my attempts to ride a bike they would have been extremely relieved at my sensible decision! The weather was quite changeable while I was there so, on one day, I was soaked to the skin and had to have a hot shower and don winter-weight clothes to warm up, and the next day I got sunburned because I stupidly forgot to take my sunscreen to the field and the sun came out with a vengeance whilst I was weeding the sweetcorn and beetroot beds. When the sun was relentlessly out I was able to retreat to the relative shade of the orchard in the afternoon and thin the apples and plums out so that the branches wouldn't break as the fruit swelled. I also picked gooseberries and redcurrants in the same area and enjoyed the change from constant weeding.

My host is constructing his own rather posh barn and makes his own floorboards and cladding boards using a portable sawmill. Obviously there are quite a lot of offcuts from this activity and these were cut into lengths and then split prior to my stacking them on pallets in a new log pile – a job I found strangely satisfying (as long as they all stacked tidily!). We also baled some loose hay that had had to be put into the large polytunnel as an emergency option when the baler broke down (why do they always do that?) and rain was forecast. It was a very similar model to the one we used to have but, luckily, four years further down the line, it didn't have the catastrophic effect on my well-being that the one at Canon Frome had (see much earlier blog from June 2010).

On my days off I determined to see as much of Norfolk as I could manage so subsequently drove many miles around the county. Again, Norfolk surprised me by being not altogether flat – it undulates rather than rolls, and has many trees and a surprising number of hedges given that it is a mainly arable county. This may also account for the vast areas of ragwort that I saw on all ground that wasn't cultivated! One of the worst areas was the military ground opposite the Household Cavalry Training Camp at Bodney! Obviously, no-one cares that ragwort is poisonous to livestock in a county where livestock is a rarity. Apart from some large, outdoor pig rearing units on the lighter, sandier soils, I saw very little in the way of farm animals.

Seals at Blakeney Point
On one of my days off I headed to the North Norfolk coast, specifically to Wells-next-the-Sea, as I felt I should pay my respects to this other Wells. I was surprised to find that it is not next-the-Sea at all as this area has silted up whilst the eastern coast has eroded away, so the sea was about a mile down a long dyke. There is still a harbour at Wells as they keep a channel well-dredged and fishing boats still unload their catches on the quay-side, so I had probably the freshest haddock and chips I've ever tasted for lunch! The weather itself had decided to mimic the east coast of Scotland and presented me with a day of 'haar', so everywhere was shrouded in grey mist but there was a cold breeze blowing too, so not really very pleasant. However, I was determined to see the sea so I caught the little narrow-gauge train from the town down to the beach – the sea was nearly as far out as at Weston-super-Mare so I took a photo of the beach huts, which must look quite picturesque on a sunny day, and walked quickly back to the town and away. Determined to try and salvage something from this less-than-satisfactory day off I booked myself a boat trip to see the seals at Blakeney Point and that was well worth £10 – the seals were wonderful! I did wonder what they make of all these people coming to see them as there were at least five boats there at the same time all chugging up and down as close in to shore as they could get with people waving and pointing and taking lots of photos (me included). I swear some of them were playing with us as they would casually surface, wait for several people to notice them and then gently sink beneath the waves before most people could click their shutters! A great game!
Ely Cathedral

On another day, I drove to west to Ely to visit the cathedral, which is enormous. I was lucky enough to join a guided tour of the ground floor area (it cost quite a bit more to go up the tower) and our guide was both enthusiastic and knowledgeable. Apparently, the Normans built this huge cathedral and abbey on the site of a previous Anglo-Saxon abbey, to impress any would-be trouble makers with their might and power, so it was a threat as well as a glorification of God. This was because the fen country was one of the last strongholds of the rebels (Hereward the Wake and his men) and held out for a long time after the Battle of Hastings. It is a truly awe-inspiring piece of Norman architecture, with a few later additions. To my delight, it also houses the Museum of Stained Glass so I spent a ridiculously long time pondering over the beautiful examples of this art form, from the thirteenth century to the present day - there were over 100 pieces to look at, and I came out feeling slightly cultured-out. I then drove north, through the fen country which is very like the Somerset Levels, but more so, in that it is a huge area and there are no hills to be seen in any direction. Obviously, it is all drained now and there are many hectares of wheat, barley, potatoes, field beans, maize and sugar beet stretching off as far as the eye can see, dotted with huge storage barns and grain silos. Very, very flat.

Norfolk Lavender
Finally, on my last day in Norfolk, the good weather and I coincided on my day off, so I drove to just south of Hunstanton to visit Norfolk Lavender. My friend Karen and I had talked of taking off one day to visit it when we were still cooped up in the Purchasing Office at Thales in Wells, but we'd never done it and, in a way, I'm glad we didn't, because I found it a huge disappointment. I had imagined that the old mill building, where they are located, would be set amongst rolling lavender fields stretching out to the horizon but, in truth, it is located on the junction of two busy roads with a small lavender 'field' in front of it and the beginnings of a lavender heritage garden alongside. Other than that, there is a 'fragrant garden', which has hardy perennial beds and shrubberies with a nice bridge over the river, a retail plant area, an expensive farm shop, an indoor kiddies amusement park, a rare breeds farm park and a large retail outlet selling all manner of expensive luxury items as well as the Norfolk Lavender products and a restaurant – far too commercialised for my taste, these days. The only good thing was that the lavender was in full bloom and they didn't charge admission to the garden!

I was all done and dusted within thirty minutes so drove a bit further south towards Kings Lynn to visit another English Heritage site, Castle Rising. Castle Rising is one of the best preserved, large Norman castle keeps and sits within some truly massive earthworks. Apparently, it was never meant to be a defensive castle, but a statement of wealth and privilege, but I, for one, would not have liked to try and enter without an invitation! There are steps up into the keep with three massive defendable doorways spaced at regular intervals so woe betide if your visit was not honourable! Off the Great Hall was a good example of a medieval kitchen, but I was amazed at how small it was, tucked into one of the towers with an open hearth and smoke hole and the remains of some sort of sink in one corner – how did they cater for the vast amounts of food that were produced in those days? I found myself looking for another kitchen area somewhere else, but there wasn't one.

Having done the culture for the day, I headed north again to Brancaster Beach, where I finally got to paddle in the sea and watch people surfboarding and kite flying. One guy was kite boarding near me on the beach and that looked like a tricky sport. First of all he had to get the large kite wing up into the air and stable enough so that it didn't pull him over, whilst he located his wheeled board and somehow stepped on to it. At some point he was going to be seriously off-balance so it was amazing that he actually managed it at all. I did wonder if the fact that I was taking photos of his struggles added to the problem! Eventually, I gave up on the beach as the stiff breeze was whipping the sand along at ankle level and when I lay down on my towel I got covered in a fine layer that stuck to my sunscreen so that I resembled fine grade sandpaper when I stood up!

Norfolk definitely has a more utilitarian feel to it than Suffolk. It seems to have fewer small, picturesque villages and, because there is little in the way of building stone, many of the houses are red brick. Because I am not a brick expert I couldn't tell, in a lot of cases, which were old houses, so it all looked more modern than Suffolk. Near the north coast around Hunstanton there is an outcrop of a dark brown sandstone called Carrstone, which is used extensively in the houses and, further along the coast, to the east, most of the houses are constructed of what look like cobble stones but which, I think, are uncut flint nodules.

On Saturday morning, with thunder grumbling in the background, I headed south again, back into Suffolk for my next two-week placement.
Brancaster Beach

No comments:

Post a Comment