![]() |
| View of Granada from the Alhambra |
Well, I said, in my
anniversary blog, that things would have to change if I was to
continue WWOOFing for much longer, and change they have!
TravellingJan has gone international!
This all happened
almost by accident. The WWOOF organisation asked me if I would write
a short article, about using the website over the last four years,
for their newsletter. I duly wrote a short piece and then emailed the
WWOOF News to Jeni to show off. As well as reading the article she
read the rest of the News including the classified ads on the back
page (which I always glance at to see what opportunities are about).
The next thing I know is that Jeni has contacted one of the
advertisers about helping to renovate a cave house in the south of
Spain and suggested we go together. To cut a long story short, on 20h
May I found myself boarding an Easyjet flight from Bristol Airport
clutching one very small bag of clothes and wondering what on earth I
was doing!
I expect most of you
have flown many times, but I haven't been in a plane for 43 years –
the last time was on my way back from Germany on my own, aged
seventeen, and culminated in me experiencing a panic attack in
Frankfurt airport that led me to believe that I would never fly
again. I wasn't frightened of flying, but airports completely freaked
me out. Bristol was a good choice as it is comparatively small and
difficult to be overwhelmed in, but we flew to Madrid, which is vast!
However, with Jeni by my side I remained calm and, for the most part,
unruffled (slight panic when I couldn't remember which of the
multitudinous pockets in my handbag contained my passport) and we
even negotiated the Madrid Metro with ease. Because it is much
younger than the London Underground the tunnels, and therefore the
trains, are much wider and it feels a lot less claustrophobic, and
even with the language barrier, the maps were easy to understand. It
probably helped that we arrived at about 9.30pm and everywhere was
very quiet so we could take our time buying tickets and working out
where we had to change lines.
We eventually found the
hostel we were staying in overnight, having walked up and down the
street several times without noticing the very discreet nameplate.
Having signed in and dropped off our bags, we headed out to find
food. The hostel manager had recommended the Museo de Jamon
(literally: the Museum of Ham) about five minutes walk away, and what
a good choice it was. It was 10.30 at night but the shop part of the
establishment was still buzzing and we were seated on a balcony
overlooking all the activity – people taking their time trying lots
of samples before buying some of the huge range of ham, chorizo and
salami-style sausages on offer (plus a good selection of cheeses)
while we sat above them enjoying a plate of cheese and ham and bread
and a carafe of Tinto de Verrano, which is a sort of red wine
spritzer and absolutely delicious. We finally wandered back to our
hostel at about midnight (the shop and restaurant were just closing).
In the morning I woke
to a familiar, but totally unexpected, sound – rain! We were
completely taken by surprise and were unprepared as, trying to keep
the costs down, we had only travelled with hand luggage, which did
not allow for the packing of a jacket – waterproof or otherwise! We
strolled (fairly rapidly) around the corner to the nearest cafe
serving breakfast and watched the Madrid populace scuttling past
clutching umbrellas and battling with the stiff breeze – there was
even some enterprising chap selling umbrellas to those who had left
home unprepared.
Eventually the rain
eased off enough for us to venture forth and do a quick sightseeing
wander around the wet, windy and cool centre of Madrid before
retrieving our bags from the hostel and heading out to the bus
station and our five hour bus ride to Granada. The land to the south
of Madrid is, at first, very flat and scrubby and for ages all we saw
were industrial estates and the odd restaurant and a few farms, many
of which appeared to be derelict. The other, slightly spooky, thing
was that we saw no people or livestock – it looked as if some kind
of apocalypse had removed all living beings from the landscape.
Another thing that slightly shocked me was the huge amount of
graffiti everywhere – any wall, embankment, derelict house, all
were covered in 'tags' and I soon noticed that 'Ron' or 'Ron's Team'
occurred on almost every site for miles and miles! What a busy chap
he must have been! About halfway between Madrid and Granada we went
through a series of tunnels in some hills and emerged into a totally
different landscape – hills, and in the distance mountains, rolled
away from us in every direction and every one was covered in olive
trees, spaced equidistant to one another in straight rows. It was
completely mind-boggling to imagine the Spanish farmers planting
these trees, by hand, up and down the mountain sides and keeping to a
strict grid system and then, later, having to harvest the olives and
somehow get them down from those dizzying, vertiginous heights! The
olive groves are kept scrupulously weed-free as olives, apparently,
don't like to compete with other vegetation and there were obvious
signs of rotavation, but still no people to be seen, anywhere.
We eventually rolled
into Granada bus station at 7pm and caught a local bus into the
centre where we found our hostel quite easily. Again the hostel
manager's recommendation was a good one and we ate paella and fried
whitebait in a restaurant down a charming narrow alleyway paved with
pebbles and swirling designs in grey slate. It was a very vibrant
area filled with restaurants and bars but we were there 'too early'
to experience it to the full – we were just heading back to the
hostel as the Spanish population were coming out to eat.
I love Granada! We only
had one, fairly short, day there before we had to catch another bus
to another town where we were being met by our hosts, but we wandered
the little streets of the old Moslem quarter turning up hidden steps
and emerging through archways into small squares with decorative
fountains and, once, a vibrant fruit and vegetable market. Above us
the sky arched blue and cloudless and the very pale terracotta tiles
of the house roofs stepped down the hill below us towards the
cathedral in the busy city centre. Eventually, we meandered back to a
large square in the centre and ate ice cream sitting on a bench in
the sunshine and unashamedly people-watching. Jeni had managed to buy
some tickets online for the Alhambra, but only in the afternoon –
they have timed tickets as it is so popular, but even so, we could
not get a full ticket to see the main Moorish part of the palace. In
fact, it didn't really matter as we spent a lot of time walking round
the stunning gardens with their formal water features, roses and
beautiful flowers and then climbed the tallest tower to see the city
spread below us. I would love to have stayed longer and taken more
time to explore Granada but our journey wasn't over yet and we had
another hour and a half bus journey to endure before reaching Baza.
Our hosts met us at about 8.30pm and then it was another half hour in
the hire car before we finally reached our destination – Cortes de
Baza.
We were not staying in
the cave house as it is still very much a work-in-progress, but in
the house of a Spanish lady ceramicist who had studied in England.
Her house was very beautiful, with tiled floors throughout and many
artistic touches and examples of her ceramics in each room. She and
her new partner (she's 63 and met him on a dating site!) stayed for a
couple of days and then headed off to Alicante leaving the four of us
as sole occupants. Elé
and her mum, Elsabé,
are South African but have lived in Britain for a number of years
now. Elé and her husband
bought the cave house about six years ago but have only been able to
visit a couple of times a year to progress the work that needs doing,
so it is a long, slow process.
The next morning we all
went off to a DIY superstore to look for floor tiles for the cave
house as that is one of the jobs that Elé
wants to get under way during this short visit and to continue
when they come back in July for six weeks. Between them, she and Jeni
managed to converse with the very helpful assistant – I was
pleasantly surprised (and very relieved) by how much Spanish Jeni
still remembers from her time in South America. It was very odd being
in a country where I didn't know a word of the language and even
odder when Elé and Elsabé
conversed in Afrikaans as well!
After making a note of
the tiles Elé liked and
taking a photo to send to her husband for approval, we all trooped
over the road to a ham wholesaler that was open to the public, where
Elé bought a whole
shoulder ham, complete with leg and trotter, (4.5Kg) for 20 euro!
These hams are popular all over Spain and range in price from about
8€/Kg to 89€/Kg depending on
maturity (I think) and whether they are the shoulder or hind quarter.
We didn't see any sign of pigs being farmed but they are more common
in the north of Spain where it doesn't get so hot. Having said that,
Elé's
farmer neighbour at the cave house had two pigs that lived in a cave
with an outdoor run which, I suppose, gives them the best of both
worlds.
We
eventually got to see the cave house for ourselves late in the
afternoon, after our siesta ( a very civilised idea, I think). I
don't really know what I was expecting but it certainly has the
potential to be a very beautiful holiday home, and surprisingly
large. There was a front yard behind locked gates and then a very
British-looking front door behind a security grille which, when
opened allowed us to step into the room that will eventually be the
kitchen and main living room. This had dual aspect double glazed
windows (again behind security grilles) and was very light. Leading
off from this room was a short corridor that went to the bathroom,
again with a window, and continued on to the main bedroom which was a
true cave room being hewn out of the rock and with no external light.
Back in the main room there were other archways leading to two
interior bedrooms and an interior TV room/sitting room. The two back
bedrooms were the only ones that didn't yet have concreted floors and
one of the jobs that Elé
was hoping to start was to get a builder with a hydraulic drill to
dig them down another eighteen inches or so to enable the concrete to
be laid.
On
Saturday morning Jeni and I started work One of the bedrooms had a
locked room beyond it (referred to as 'the jail') where a lot of
stuff was stored, including the generator, and our first job was to
empty this and the two bedrooms of everything in preparation for the
digging, and to transfer it in an orderly way to the TV room. Once
we'd done this we went off to the village market to buy some fruit
and vegetables while Elé
met with a plumber and a builder at the cave. The fruit looked
amazing and we ended up buying cherries, grapes and some flat,
doughnut-shaped peaches which were just fantastic, and a water melon,
amongst other things.
In
the afternoon we all went for a drive and found a lake that they
hadn't noticed before. We bumped down a long unmetalled road bouncing
over potholes, past ruined houses and then one or two that were lived
in and guarded by ferocious-looking dogs, until we got almost down to
the lake's edge where we got out and took some photos. On the way
back Jeni spotted a bee-eater in a tree – they are very colourful
birds that look a little like a kingfisher, but bigger, and
everywhere there were olive groves and almond trees and small
rectangular plots of tomatoes and peppers. The almonds were already
clustered thick on the branches looking like small, flat peaches –
it must have been so beautiful in this area when the almond blossom
was out earlier in the year.
Sunday
was a day of rest so, after a leisurely shower and breakfast, we all
headed off to Baza and the Car Boot Sale! I couldn't believe they had
car boot sales in Spain but, apparently, it was started by some
ex-pats and was just like a British one, but with Spanish tat! We
only stayed a short time as it was blisteringly hot but, even then,
the locals were wearing jumpers and winter boots – it was very easy
to spot who was a tourist! From there we went to Lake Negratin, to a
favourite swimming spot, changed into our costumes and went for a
swim. We were the only ones in the water as it was far too cold for
the locals – in fact the village swimming pool which I'd hoped we'd
be able to use doesn't open in May at all! I was a bit disappointed
about that as I'd bought a new swimsuit especially for the trip as I
haven't been swimming for about twenty five years and didn't possess
one! Well, at least it was christened and the lake was very
'refreshing'! The lake was an amazing turquoise blue that looks
Photoshopped in my photos, but it really was that colour and
reflected the surrounding mountains beautifully. The light makes
everything very sharp and you can see for miles and miles in all
directions.
Monday
was our first proper day of work and we started by emptying
everything out of the main bedroom while Elé
went to buy the tiles and adhesive. She brought some back with her –
the rest would be delivered by lorry that afternoon – and we set to
work using the straight edge of the corridor to line up the first,
very important, run of tiles. Jeni and I work well as a team and by
lunchtime we had laid the first row and started on a second, checking
every few tiles with a spirit level. Elé
was very impressed with our first day's work. Then it was back to the
house for lunch, a much-needed shower and a short siesta before
heading out to one of the many bars in the village for beer and
tapas. I'd discovered the hard way that if you only order coffee you
don't get free tapas so I had to steel myself to try the local beer
in order to 'qualify' for the tapas! Actually, drinking cold
lager-type beer on a hot day was not too much of a trial after all (I
don't like beer at all, normally) and it was worth it to sample the
tapas. Each time you order a beer you get a different tapas and they
improve in quality as you progress as an encouragement to stay
'loyal' to one bar. The first one consisted of some strips of ham and
some crisps, the second was chorizo and cheese with bread and olive
oil and I have to say that I can't remember the third one – perhaps
the beer was stronger than I thought?
Starting
on the Tuesday morning (at 7.00am) Elé
employed a new Spanish builder to dig out the floor levels in the
cave. It was no hardship working alongside him as he was
mid-thirties, tall, tanned, good-looking with twinkly eyes and worked
like a navvie! He was completely blown away by our ability to lay
floor tiles as (roughly translated) 'in Spain women look after
children and cook'! I think his mind was completely blown when Elé
carried on with the tiling after we'd finished for the day and then
told him that 'all British women can tile'! Poor guy – he must
think we're some sort of super-race! That first day we had to stop
tiling to shovel rubble out of the cave and deposit it in the yard
but, thankfully, on day 2 he brought along a 'youf' to be his mate
and we went back to tiling.
By
the time we finished work on Thursday we had laid and grouted all the
whole tiles in the main bedroom and part way down the corridor, the
plumber had been and sorted out the pipework in the bathroom and
Raoul (the builder) and his mate had dug out and shovelled several
tonnes of rubble – quite an achievement for just one week.
On
Friday we sorrowfully packed the hire car and shut the door on our
lovely Spanish house before driving for five hours back to Madrid
Airport where we said 'Goodbye' to Elé
and Elsabé
who were flying back to Heathrow with British Airways. We then had a
five hour wait for our Easyjet flight back to Bristol! We finally
boarded at 9.30pm (Spanish time) and took off just as the sun was
setting, colouring the few clouds a delicate pink and giving us a
wonderful view of Madrid and its surroundings as we climbed into the
skies.
We
were sitting on the port-side of the plane and, heading northwest, we
seemed to be surfing the sunset as, all the way home, the horizon was
a bright, burning orange with a tiny sliver of moon and a single star
above it, that only faded as we dropped below the cloud cover
somewhere north of Exeter. At that point we were flying between two
layers of cloud, in a dark corridor, unable to be seen from above or
below – it made me feel very small and insignificant and as if I
didn't really exist anymore outside of this plane. All the rest of
the passengers were reading or chatting but I was fascinated by the
lights below me and kept saying to Jeni ' Do you think that's Exeter
down there, or perhaps Taunton?' 'Can you see a motorway?' She
thought it was very funny (and slightly embarrassing) that I was so
excited but it's an awfully long time since I was airborne, so I
think she forgave me!
Will
I go 'international' again? I don't know yet, but I might be
persuaded if Jeni comes with me again. After all, she did all the
organising and I just turned up with my passport! Thanks, Jeni – it
was a wonderful experience!
![]() |
| Jeni tiling in the cave |



It was indeed wonderful Mummingford, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Hope we get to do more foreign adventuring together again in the not-too-distant future, you make a wonderful travelling companion! Love you LOADS x x x
ReplyDelete