 |
| Amazing Periwinkle (see below) |
Last Sunday afternoon, as it was bright and sunny, Jeni and
I decided to meet up for a walk. We were going to do a longer version of the
wintry walk that we had done back in March, starting at her house and walking
towards Wells on footpaths and bridleways. As we set off we realised that the warmth engendered by the bright sunshine was illusory, the wind was very keen and we
were probably not wearing quite enough clothing but, being intrepid (!) we were
determined to ‘tough it out’. However, it wasn’t long before Jeni had a phone
call from her partner, who had gone mountain biking with a friend, to say that
his bike had broken, he was coming home earlier than intended and he hadn’t got
a house key! Reluctantly, we turned for home and retraced our steps but we were
glad that we did as suddenly the wind got up, the sun hid behind a bank of
ominously dark clouds and, first of all, we were pelted with soft hail and then
it snowed! Within half an hour we were back at Jeni’s, the sun came out again
and we were able to sit in the garden with a cup of tea! Really weird weather.
This weekend a friend asked if I could feed and let out her
chickens for a couple of days. Her smallholding is about a mile away across the
fields so it seemed a good opportunity to get some exercise. Both mornings have
been bright and sunny so I left home at about 8.00am and went off across the
fields behind the house. There was a slight frost on both mornings, but the
grass was mainly wet (I discovered that my ‘waterproof’ walking boots, aren’t!).
The fields that had fodder beans planted last year were sown with spring wheat
about three weeks ago but it has been so dry that there is no sign of the seed
germinating yet. Large flocks of rooks rose into the air as I approached,
cawing anxiously to one another – I don’t suppose they see a human out there
very often at that time of day. There were skylarks up above me singing
joyfully and one took off from only a few feet away from me before soaring
heavenwards in full song.
 |
| a very blurry hare! |
As I approached the furthest of the newly sown fields I saw
two hares lolloping away from me, but was only able to get a very long distance
shot of one of them. There were other hares about in the grassy fields further
on, but they kept a low profile as I walked around the field perimeter. The
hedgerows were alive with the rustling of small birds but I was only able to
identify chaffinch, great tit, blue tit, dunnock, blackbirds and wrens. Some of
the wrens serenaded me, with their beautiful song, from the tops of the hedges
as I wandered by whilst others scolded me like mini Geiger counters being
approached by highly radioactive material!
As well as letting out the hens, collecting eggs and
checking food and water levels, I was also in charge of feeding and watering
six Kune Kune pigs. Technically, these belong to the local animal rescue
charity, who supply their feed and bedding and, originally there were only
three but these have been joined recently by another three. They are all related
but do not get on so, a couple of weeks ago, I helped divide the paddock in
half so there are now two groups of three and peace has been restored. The best
way to feed them seems to be to stand at the dividing line and hurl a scoop into
one pen followed swiftly by a scoop into the other pen, alternating until all
the feed has been distributed – this stops the possibility of one group
storming the barricades to get at the other pigs’ food!
 |
| Kune Kune pigs |
This morning I came home a different way (yesterday I came
home along the lane) by crossing a couple of fields that had maize in them last
year. The fields have obviously been sprayed with weedkiller and then
top-dressed with slurry before they are replanted with a crop for this year.
Because of the dry weather, the manure has formed a hard layer over the soil
and I was able to walk across it quite easily. In the first field was a range
of old farm buildings that I hadn’t explored before, at first I thought it
might be an old cottage but, on closer inspection I think it was always meant
for animal accommodation. I then continued across the next field, past the barn
owl barn, and out onto the lane. By this time it was about 9.30 and I had
removed my outer layer and a fleece and was still too hot walking along in my
long-sleeved T-shirt with the sleeves rolled up – such a contrast to last
Sunday!
 |
| Do you think it's a 'doer-upper'? |
I think we can safely say that Spring is now here and we
have entered the blue-and-white phase of the Spring wildflowers. There are
still lots of yellow flowers about in the celandines and dandelions, but more
and more white and blue/purple flowers are emerging: there are the first
bluebells nodding in the hedge bottoms along with ground ivy and tiny violets
as well as white dead nettle, wood anemone, wild garlic and comfrey. In places,
there are patches of periwinkle, which is not a native plant (how many really
are?) but has naturalised in many parts of Britain, mainly in the south. This
plant, although invasive in the garden, holds a special place in my heart as it
played a part in saving Jeni’s life when she contracted Hodgkin’s Lymphoma as a
fourteen-year-old. Both the chemotherapy drugs, Vincristine and Vinblastine,
are derived from periwinkle and both of these were used, in two different drug
combinations, to treat her. Our ‘wise women’, centuries ago, probably knew a
lot more about the beneficial properties of plants, before they were burned at
the stake and their knowledge consigned to history! Did you know, for instance,
that the clippings from the yew hedges at Chirk Castle in North Wales go to
making the widely-used chemotherapy drug, Tamoxifen? And, of course, aspirin was
originally derived from willow and meadowsweet. What amazing things plants are!
 |
| Ground Ivy |
 |
| Wood anemones |
 |
| violet |
 |
| Soft Comfrey |
The weather is looking dry and warm for the next week, at
least, so I shall have to remember to include sunscreen in my gardening
paraphernalia and take a bottle of water and, more importantly, remember to
drink it!!
 |
| Wych Elm seeds |
 |
| Alien-like male flowers of Butterbur |
Lovely to read of all the different flowers you’ve been seeing on your travels. Your mention of medicines derived from plants reminded me of digitalis (a form of heart treatment) which comes from foxgloves and was used to treat my little sister after her replacement heart valve operation. It’s a fascinating subject!!
ReplyDeleteOf course, I completely forgot to mention digitalis! There are heaps more, I'm sure, that other people will have had personal experience of.
Delete