‘March comes in like a lion, and goes out like a lamb’, so
goes the old saying and, this year, it seems to have held true. It has been a
much colder March than last year and, consequently, the Spring activity that I
was noting in my blogs last year, has been delayed by about a week. Having said
that, the last few days of the month, which have been so warm and sunny, have
hastened on a spurt of growth.
The yellow winter aconites, with their Elizabethan ruffs of
green, have given way to the glossy yellow petals of the celandines, which seem
to be popping up everywhere this year. They prefer damp, shady spaces but, the
wet weather that we have had in recent months, has made them migrate to less
typical spots, where they hold up their sunny heads to brighten even dreary
days. Have you noticed that, after the fragile white snowdrops, the predominant
colour of early spring flowers is yellow? I am sure that this is Mother Nature
trying to reassure us that the sun will return and that the days will get warmer!
| Primroses beside the lake |
Quite often we have the warm spell, that we have just
enjoyed, in mid-March and the daffodils and primroses fade and wither before
the end of the month but, this year, they seem to have flowered for a long
time. I can remember a few years ago now, when we still had our smallholding,
that I took a week off work in mid-March because we were due to start lambing.
The weather was glorious all week and I spent every day up in the fields,
keeping an eye on the pregnant ewes and basking in a short-sleeved T-shirt.
Needless to say, not a single ewe lambed in that week – they waited until the
following week, when I was back at work and the weather had turned cold and wet
again! Typical!
I have been for a couple of walks to the lake recently and
saw my first deer of the season, but too far away to get a photo for you to
enjoy. The skylarks are also up and singing and a couple of mallards are
courting on the little Whitelake Stream, flying off indignantly quacking when I
inadvertently disturb them as I pass by. Our resident buzzard is seen on a regular basis, often being mobbed by rooks or crows. They, in their turn, are mobbed by our resident gang of Jackdaws if they are deemed to have come too close!
There is a mist of green on the hawthorns and, in sheltered
spots, the blackthorn is coming into flower. I am keeping my eye on the elder
as it has a nasty habit of coming into flower before I’ve had time to prepare
for Elderflower Cordial making, but although it came into leaf a while before
anything else, I have a few weeks to wait yet, before the blossoms appear - plenty of time to get in supplies of oranges and lemons.
Today (1st April) there will be a lot of happy
chickens, ducks and geese (and some very relieved owners) as the poultry
lockdown, caused by an outbreak of avian flu before Christmas, was lifted last
night after 12 weeks. It has caused worry and headaches for a lot of poultry
keepers as, although chickens can be housed for a period without it being too
detrimental to their health, as long as they have plenty of room and ‘toys’ to
stop them getting bored and feather-pecking their fellow prisoners, water fowl,
and geese in particular, really struggle in an indoor environment as their diet
is mainly fresh grass and they need water to bathe in to keep their feathers in
good condition. My remaining two old ladies seemed quite happy to be housed in
the large barn with plenty of straw and hay to play in and only looked wistfully
out of the gate when the sun shone!
| Joy and Ginger enjoying their freedom! |
The warmer weather has also brought out the over-wintering
butterflies and some truly huge bumble bees, which have been buzzing around my
two rosemary bushes that I have in pots outside my front door. One of the
plants is a cutting that I took from my friend’s plant down in Cornwall and is subtly
different to my other one, which I bought in a garden centre, in that it has
darker blue flowers in bigger clusters, and the bees love it! I sat outside the
other afternoon, quietly reading, when a Peacock butterfly landed on my
shoulder. It was obviously one that had overwintered successfully somewhere, as
it was much smaller than the new season ones will be, and looked distinctly
tatty around the edges, but we had a nice little chat before she flew off to
find some nectar.
| Cornish Rosemary |
I am still awaiting, with bated breath, the return of our
swallows as I understand that they have been spotted in other parts of
Somerset. We only had one pair nest here last year, but they did successfully
raise three broods – it would be wonderful if some of them made it back this
year and re-colonised the garage nest sites. Unfortunately, we still seem to
have a large population of Jackdaws, and that will put them off nesting
anywhere that is accessible to these corvids, who predate the young and eggs.
Much as I love wildlife, I wish that something predated Jackdaws!
| The long border |
When I arrived at my new clients on Monday it was to be
greeted by two large, finished borders! They had managed to get a huge amount
of cardboard from somewhere and then Tom had got the bit between his teeth and
carried on constructing the beds, in between his farming chores! I must say
that I was incredibly relieved as the thought of wheelbarrowing all of that
muck and then all of the topsoil was very daunting. I spent the morning transplanting
plants from a now-redundant border to the new border and planting some shrubs that
had been in pots. There is still a lot of space to fill in the longer border and
I haven’t even started on the shorter one yet.
| The short(er) border |
My Tuesday clients wanted me to transplant their strawberry
bed as the existing one will be covered by a new greenhouse that arrives in a
few weeks’ time. This year they have decided to switch to raised beds for
vegetable growing, as grass kept encroaching on the beds last year – it’s
amazing how much more organised the garden looks already. I was allocated one
end of a new raised bed (constructed, I am pleased to say, using the ‘no dig’
method) and managed to transfer about two thirds of the plants – the rest we
may well plant up in pots next week. I also continued to wage war on a
honeysuckle that has become a bit of a thug, smothering two bushes and rooting
itself all over the place. Next week I have been told that I can have a bonfire
(albeit in an incinerator)!!
Wednesday’s client wanted me to carry on re-structuring her
herbaceous border. I started last year and cut back a rampant climbing rose,
moved a few things and cut back some other overgrown shrubs. Last time I went I
moved most of the shrub roses, leaving some towards the back of the border, and
replanting them in a new location where they will have two chances! This week I
trimmed an annoying bit of the Choisya that I attacked last year and then cut
off some overhanging branches on the two rather elderly Weigelas. Having done
that I dug up and split a huge clump of day lilies that was too far forward and
another perennial that grows to about six feet high and was in the middle of
the border. This has now freed up a swathe in the middle of the border where we
can plant some new and colourful perennials. I will shortly have to don my
wellies (or waders if it rains again) and get into the stream to plant up the
pots anchored in the gabions that were built last year – it’s all very
exciting! Whilst drinking my coffee I
walked around the pond, looking for signs of frogspawn, but it was only later
when I took a closer look that I spotted tadpoles swimming about already, even
though there are still amorous frogs swimming about, too. I also saw some newts
but have no idea what sort they are. Last year, when I first started gardening
there, it must have been later in the season and I kept coming across tiny
frogs everywhere, so I must watch out for them later.
Bookings are also trickling in for farm sits later in the
year when, hopefully, people are allowed to go on holiday again and I even have
a provisional booking for April 2022!

The feeling that Despite the cold Easter Spring will have Sprung Ready for it Or Not
ReplyDeleteYour Blog gives Hope; Ready for it Or Not
Once Again Jan.....well Done!!!