Thursday, 15 October 2015

October - season of foraging, preserving and a reunion


Glastonbury Tor with The Quantocks in the distance
 Well, 'the season of mists and mellow fruitfulness' is upon us once again, and the field maples are vying with their Canadian cousins in the incredible colours that they are bringing to the hedgerows. There was one Saturday morning, about three weeks ago, when I had to travel through patchy mist all the way down to the Country Market at Somerton – if I looked up I could see blue sky but all around me was thick mist, which didn't burn off until nearly midday. That was also the week, I think, when the previous jam/preserve maker had decided to give up providing her wares to the Market. Always up for a challenge (and I like making preserves) I volunteered to give it a go and, on the following day went off on a foraging expedition. Now, the biggest buzz I get is from creating something from 'free' materials and I already had some sloes in my sights for the obligatory sloe gin that I make every year. I added an additional 'foraging bag' to my coat pocket and decided to see what else was on offer. In the end I didn't pick the sloes at that point because I ended up picking blackberries and rosehips, instead. Mary has several elderly apple trees in the garden that have been quite productive this year but only have small fruit on them, so I combined them with what I had foraged and made apple and rosehip jelly, blackberry and apple jelly and spiced blackberry and apple jelly. The following week at the market someone brought me in a box of quinces and so I made quince jelly, too. I've also made tomato relish (from my own tomatoes!), apple chutney and I am about to make some red onion marmalade, too. At least it's been keeping me busy! I went back to the hedgerow where the sloes were, the following weekend only to find that the farmer had cut the hedge right back and there were no sloes or blackberries left! However, I had a short farm sit booked for my friends at Dundry and I'd noticed sloes in abundance there the last time I'd been. Having checked with Sally that she didn't want any more, I picked a large bag full and also some more blackberries, so the sloe gin is now quietly doing its thing in a corner of the kitchen.

I also went and did a dog/house sit for a lady about 5 minutes away from home. She and her husband live in a bungalow next to their farm with amazing views towards Glastonbury Tor and the Quantocks although, for the first few days, I couldn't see the view because of the lowering skies and heavy rain! Once the weather settled down a bit I took myself off for a walk across the fields to the little hamlet of Cannards Grave. I've driven past it frequently over the years, and more so recently, as it is on my way to Shepton Mallet, and has almost become a suburb, since they've built the huge new estate on the edge of town. There is a pub/restaurant there called The Highwayman and, being intrigued by its age (1675 above the archway leading to the rear) and the fact that it was obviously a substantial coaching inn in the past, I Googled for its history when I got back. Allegedly, the publican was one Tom Kennard who either passed on information to the local 'bad boys' about wealthy visitors to the inn, or was actually a highwayman himself. Eventually, after many years, the law caught up with him and he was strung up on the gibbet which happened to be just across the road from the inn (where the Cannards Well Inn now stands). Over time Kennard's Grave became corrupted to Cannard's Grave and that, my friends, is the story! It was a very pleasant walk and I managed to find some more rosehips so that I could make another batch of jelly, when I got home.

The couple returned from their few days away at about 2pm on Friday and I then dashed home, unpacked, repacked and, with a brief stop in Wells to donate a pint of blood (or whatever the metric equivalent is), I drove off to Cheltenham. The reason for this Friday evening drive was that, on the following morning, I was to attend my school reunion! I went to one about thirteen years ago and met up with several people from my old class, but this time, in addition to the girl's who started at the Girls' Grammar School in 1965, there were also going to be the boys who started at the Boys' Grammar School at the same time, as the two schools have now merged. This meant that, potentially, I would meet up with boys that I hadn't seen since leaving Junior School 50 years ago! I was a bit nervous about going on my own as it was a in a building I didn't know at all, in an area of Cheltenham that I also didn't know very well. However, my friend Madeleine, who I last saw at the previous reunion, but with whom I have become friends on Facebook, offered to call for me as she and her husband were driving past my mum's house on their way to pick up another former classmate from the train station. I still felt as nervous as on Day 1 at 'big school' (and so did several others, I found out later) but the nerves soon disappeared as we laughed and chatted in the car.
Class of '65
It turned out to be such a fun event and I met up with a couple of my friends that I'd lost touch with once we left school and went our separate ways. There were five 'boys' there from my class at junior school and, once I'd read their name badges, it wasn't too difficult to recognise the boy in the man, from face shape, mannerisms, etc. We had a nice buffet lunch in the refectory, although I was chatting so much that I didn't really notice what I was eating! I almost missed out on the fantastic desserts because I was trying to talk to everyone – I reckon it was probably a bit like speed-dating (although I hasten to say, that I have never actually tried it!) and I came away feeling as though I wanted it to go on for a lot longer. My English teacher was one of the two members of staff who came along and it was good to see her again, too, as she was definitely an inspirational part of my education and gave me my love of words and books. One day, Miss Smith, I may actually turn all of these ramblings into a book!
My inspirational English teacher - Miss Smith
The next day I decided to dash back to Somerset to catch up with my son, who was in Somerset for the weekend, and also attend the Wells Food Festival. By doing this I missed an opportunity to pick up some Lovett Pies from my mum's friend but I knew they were going to be at the Festival so I made a bee-line for their stall only to find an empty table – they'd sold out! I shall have to wait for my next trip to Cheltenham to pick up some pies now and that may not happen until December as I am shortly travelling down to Cornwall to help on the farm. It's nearly 'tupping time', when the ram is put in with the ewes, and they have to have a pedicure and a bit of a tidy up before that happens!I've missed my WWOOFing this year and wonder if there is some way of re-balancing and re-jigging my life so that I can do a bit more next year – I'll have to work on a plan during the winter.
Sunset over Somerset





No comments:

Post a Comment