![]() |
| Glastonbury Sunrise |
Well, it’s finally happened – TravellingJan is back on the
road again! But before I tell you all about it, let’s do a bit of a catch-up on
life since my last blog.
It was Mum’s 94th birthday on 24th
July, so Jeni and I arranged to go for the weekend and then found out that my
brother was going to be there, too. Jeni made a lemon drizzle cake (well
several small ones, in fact, so that Mum could freeze some) as it’s Mum’s
favourite and I baked a couple of different quiches for a birthday lunch. We
decided to try out a new route to Cheltenham that didn’t involve the steep hill
out of Bath (you’ll see why, later) so set off in what felt like completely the
wrong direction, heading towards Frome and then Bradford-on-Avon, Chippenham,
Malmesbury and Cirencester. Google Maps insisted it was several miles shorter
than the route I’ve driven for years and, potentially, quicker, and it wasn’t
wrong! It was nice to see some different countryside and picturesque villages
and Bradford-on-Avon is always lovely with the river and the Kennet and Avon
Canal running through the centre.
The weather was very warm, so we didn’t do too much over the
weekend, but on the Saturday evening we went to the pub in the village where
they were having a Tapas Evening and had a very enjoyable meal. We also went to
Mum’s favourite gardens at North Cerney House where we indulged in more Lemon
Drizzle cake and Millionaire’s Shortbread whilst drinking tea and looking out
over the walled garden. My brother had been eyeing up a sloping area of grass
with a certain wistful look in his eyes, and then gave into temptation and
rolled down the hill! He didn’t get up for a little while afterwards as it had
made him dizzier than he expected! Some people just never grow up!
![]() |
| Rich revisiting his childhood! |
Back at the end of June I’d heard, via Facebook, that the
young couple who ran the organic market garden that I helped with a bit during
lockdown, were desperately looking for somewhere to stay. They’d rented the
ground and the owner had sold up and moved to Greece where he had offered them
employment, but it was taking far longer than anyone had anticipated to get
through the bureaucratic red tape that is involved in setting up a new business
in Greece and getting visas and residency permits sorted. They had already been
staying in a room in their friends’ house for three months, but felt that they
might be outstaying their welcome, so I offered for them to come and stay with
me until visas etc., could be sorted. What I hadn’t realised until then, in my
naivety, is that there are many people in Glastonbury (and probably elsewhere,
too) who have no permanent home and move in a continuous flow of sofa-surfing
and rented rooms. Lou and Liam have been great since they moved in, being very
quiet and respectful of my space and privacy, but we’ve also had some shared
meals and good chats, plus they have looked after the house and garden while I’ve
been away. I may just hide their visa application forms, when they finally
arrive, as they are very keen to help me with garden projects once the weather
cools down a bit!
I finally got my camper van back on 21st July,
serviced and MOT’d, and ready for the next adventure. As it had cost a fair bit
to get her back on the road, I felt that I must make a concerted effort to use
her more this year, which meant being prepared to go off on my own, as well as
occasionally with Jeni. But where to go? Now, anyone who has read my blogs over
the years will remember that at this time of year I could usually be found
heading towards a small village in Oxfordshire with a group of my sister’s and
brother-in-law’s friends, to sit in a field listening to music. Obviously, the
pandemic had put the festival on hold for three years, but we had stopped going
the year before that because Chris, the main instigator of the group, had very
sadly died and no-one wanted to go there without him. I decided to see if there
were any tickets still available and duly bought one and a three-day camping
pass, so now I was committed!
I decided to do the outward journey in two stages as I didn’t
feel completely confident in Bunty’s reliability so, on Wednesday afternoon, on
a boiling hot day, I loaded all the necessities that I could think of into the
van and off we set en route to Cheltenham and an overnight stop with Mum.
Driving an old, normally aspirated, diesel vehicle is very different to
driving a newer petrol car and I soon found that I had to adopt quite a
different driving style, shifting up and down through the gears much more
frequently. I discovered that 5th gear was only for cruising at a
decent speed on flat roads, any slight increase in gradient would result in a
drastic drop in revs and a hasty change down into 4th (or 3rd
when I got it really wrong!) Bunty doesn’t like hills, be they long and gradual
or short and steep, hence the need to plan my route carefully and avoid the
steep hill and sharp left turn at the top of Newbridge Hill in Bath. The new
route worked pretty well, apart from a heart-in-the-mouth hill start in the
centre of Bradford-on-Avon, and we arrived at Mum’s in good time.
I found Mum really struggling with the heat; she hadn’t slept
well for days and had no appetite, so we ditched the idea of going out for an
evening meal and had scrambled egg on toast instead, which was a much better
option in the circumstances. We were both up quite early on Thursday as Mum was
also off to stay with my sort-of-aunty, Jen, in Cwmbran for a few days, so it
wasn’t long before Bunty and I hit the road again, heading off across the
Cotswolds through Stow-on-the-Wold, Chipping Norton, Banbury and on to
Cropredy. Despite the embarrassment of crawling up multiple Cotswold hills in 2nd
gear with a trail of cars behind me, we made good time and arrived in Cropredy
before 8.30am.
![]() |
| Camp site 7A from the canal bridge |
At first, I was a bit upset because, at the last moment, I had taken a wrong turning and so had only one option of camping field available to me as I had come into the village the ‘wrong’ way. However, I was soon mollified by being directed to a spot right next to the canal and, as I discovered later, within listening distance of the stage. I parked up as levelly as I could and then started sorting out the interior of the van – that was when I discovered that the fridge wasn’t working! With predicted temperatures of 32 degrees this was not a good start as I only had two ice blocks in my cold box, and they were fast defrosting. I hurriedly transferred everything into the fridge, working on the assumption that it was probably better insulated than the cold box, and hoped for the best.
As the concert field didn’t open until 2pm with the first
act starting at 4pm, I decided to walk along the towpath and into the village
to look at all the stalls that are set up there during the weekend. I very soon
came to a narrowboat where a guy was selling handmade leather items and struck
up a conversation. I chatted to him for ages and then, slightly further along
the canal, I found a lady who made felt hats, amongst other things, and struck
up a conversation with her. She was thrilled to find a fellow wool enthusiast
and we chatted for even longer about all sorts of things. It turned out that
she had lived in Evercreech and Shepton Mallet and also knew Glastonbury quite
well – what a small world!
![]() |
| Festival ready |
When the field opened, I took my camping chair, a bottle of
water and a puzzle book and headed in. It was already sweltering on the field
as it slopes and faces due south, so the sun really pitches in there. However,
I stuck it out all day as I wanted to see Clannad, an Irish group made famous
by the theme to the TV series Harry’s Game, and whose music I’ve enjoyed for
years. They were on stage at 7.30 by which time the heat had dissipated a bit
and I was feeling more comfortable. I wasn’t disappointed as their act was just
as good as their studio recordings and their rendition of Herne the Hunter (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZI9ZVApSA8)
gave me goosebumps. I was probably witnessing their very last live performance
as they have decided to retire this year after 50+ years.
![]() |
| Festival evening sky |
The last act of the evening was the Trevor Horn Band who,
more or less, played the 80s and 90s pop charts as Trevor Horn had produced the
likes of 10cc and Frankie Goes to Hollywood. It was a very lively end to the
evening with lots of people dancing and singing along.
Thinking that the overnight temperatures would still be
pretty unbearable I completely under-estimated how chilly a metal box with the
windows open can become, and spent the night being restlessly cold and
uncomfortable – another lesson learned!
![]() |
| Cropredy lock |
Friday dawned with clear skies and sunshine and by 9.00am it
was already very hot. The music started at midday, but I decided to go in at
about 1.30 and by 3pm I’d had enough and headed back to the village in search
of shade and a decent ice cream. There has always been a stall in the centre of
the village opposite the church that sells Water Buffalo Ice Cream, so I headed
there and found a bench in the shade on which to sit and eat my ice cream
whilst people watching. I was soon joined by another couple who’d also succumbed
to the lure of delicious ice cream and we started chatting. It turned out that
they were parked a couple of rows along from me and, when I mentioned about my
lack of refrigeration, they very kindly offered to refreeze my ice blocks and
lend me two frozen ones overnight. Aren’t people kind? It turned out that he
was a chartered electrical engineer and he, even more kindly, offered to bring
his multimeter over and see if he could work out why the fridge didn’t work. Apparently,
the electronic ignition was working, even though the indicator light wasn’t on,
but it wouldn’t ignite the gas and, after investigating the rear of the fridge
through the outside grill, we decided not to even try as all the pipework looks
very corroded – another job to sort out.
I decided it was far too hot to go back to the field, so I
sat in the shade of Bunty and listened to the music from there. After a while I
got out my spinning wheel (oh, didn’t I mention I’d packed that?) and sat in
the early evening warmth, listening to the music and spinning away. This also
led to several conversations with random strangers, so I didn’t really feel
lonely at all.
![]() |
| Travelling spinning wheel and travelling Bunty |
Saturday, if anything, was even hotter than the previous two
days and I decided not to go onto the concert field until the early evening.
Instead I walked down to the village and went round the car boot sale that
always takes place to coincide with the festival, but it was too hot to linger
long. I then walked around to The Red Lion pub, opposite the church, where I
bought a pint of … no, not cider, orange juice and soda water, and then went and
sat in the churchyard in the shade to drink it. Afterwards I went into the
church as it was hosting an art gallery of local artistic talent, some of which
was very good. For a final time, I walked along the towpath and treated myself
to a pair of earrings and a wristband from the leatherworker guy, before
returning to the van.
My sister had told me that Katie, the daughter of the
aforementioned Chris and Jude, was also at the festival on her own and had
passed on my phone number to her. We finally agreed to meet at the bar at 6pm,
where we had a lovely catch up whilst not buying overpriced pints from the bar,
but swigging water like it was going out of style! We then went our separate
ways and I found a spot to settle for the final two acts of the festival,
Richard Thompson, singer, song writer and awesome guitarist who was, for a
while, part of the Fairport Convention line up, and then Fairport themselves to
close the proceedings and, as the full moon rose over the field and shooting
stars flickered overhead Simon Nicol sang one of my favourite tunes, The Girl
from the Hiring Fair (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHWRYzXG9sU)
– another goosebump moment and so very magical.
![]() |
| Full moon over Cropredy |
I had intended to cook a leisurely breakfast on Sunday
morning before driving home but, in the end I had a cup of tea (without milk ‘cos
it had very quickly turned to yogurt in the heat!), packed everything away
safely, checked coolant and oil levels and set off back the way I had come. The
countryside looked almost autumnal with the combines busy in the corn fields
and leaves prematurely falling from the trees, but it was a lovely drive home
with me feeling more confident of Bunty’s reliability and my ability to adapt
my driving style to meet the demands of an old diesel engine and, after just
over three hours we were home!
There’ll be no stopping me now! Where shall I go next, I
wonder?
![]() |
| Glastonbury sunset |










Once again you make me sound like "Max Boyce" (I know, 'cos I was there) and was a real Treat to hear Clannad "Harry's Game" again on "Alexa" brought back fond memories of a Birthday Gift I could never repay
ReplyDeleteI don't need to go to Cropredy, each year she goes I feel the atmosphere, Thanks Jan