| Hawthorn berries |
As October begins, Storm Alex rages and the world seems to
be falling in around us, I am trying very hard to remain positive! My usual
stance of ‘head-in-the-sand Ostrich style’ works most of the time as I remain
fairly oblivious to world news by refusing to watch television news or read a
newspaper (although I do subscribe to a weekly news magazine, so am not totally
unaware of what’s going on around me or, as the magazine is always a week
behind, gone on around me.) I find that it is easier to stay positive if I don’t
hear relentless news bulletins of bad news. I was once severely berated for
this attitude, by an almost complete stranger, but it works for me and so I
shall continue on my way.
Recently, I have been dividing my time between staying at
Mum’s in Cheltenham and whistle stop overnight stays in Shepton Mallet and have
so far managed to leave my laptop charger in Cheltenham and my phone charger in
Somerset when I needed them to be in the other location! Thanks to my very
ancient Nokia having been popular for a long time, back in the day, I now have
three phone chargers in different locations, thanks to my hoarding landlady,
Mary, who has a whole box of old adaptors and chargers that ‘might come in useful
one day’!
| Sloes as big as damsons! |
As I’ve driven backwards and forwards between Somerset and Gloucestershire I have noticed how productive the hedgerows are this year; the sloes are the size of small damsons and so abundant that there shouldn’t be a shortage of sloe gin later on; the hawthorn bushes are covered in a haze of red berries and, here and there, long hip-laden branches of dog rose reach above hedge height to mingle with the old man’s beard that takes over the hedges at this time of year. Sadly, I have also noticed how devastating and obvious ash die back has become on both the Mendips and the Cotswolds, rendering the landscape almost winter-like with dead branches clawing at the skies and many more severely diseased. I hadn’t realised that there were so many ash trees in our landscape – the whole look of the countryside will change, much as it did when our magnificent elm trees died.
| Sprays of rose hips |
The consultant at Gloucester Royal Hospital told my Mum that
she could expect to be in hospital for 4-6 weeks before being able to return
home, so I was gearing myself up for frequent drives to Stroud Hospital where
she was sent for rehabilitation. Having been held up in long queues at a
notorious roundabout, near Cheltenham, that was on the obvious route back from
Stroud, I devised several different cross-country routes that took me down some
tiny lanes across the Cotswolds, some with grass growing down the middle and
very few passing places. To be honest, I love driving down these lanes as you
find some wonderful hidden gems of houses (all, sadly, out of my price range)
and it all adds to my mental map of the countryside. In one particular lane I came upon a woman out walking her two dogs. There was absolutely no room for me to get past and nowhere in sight for her to get off the road, and so she started to run down the road in front of me! It was a hot day and I was in no particular hurry, so I called out to her to stop running and then I held back to a less intimidating distance until a small wider area allowed me to pass. I then promptly met a white van coming in the other direction and knowing that there were no passing places for ages behind me, I had to wait for him to back up a couple of hundred yards to a driveway, so that we could pass each other.
Having got used to the timing of my journey from Cheltenham
to Stroud, I began to think about calling on my childhood friend, Carol, who
lives near Stroud and also on an ex-WWOOF host who lives in the beautiful Slad
Valley that was on my route to and fro but, before I could contact them to make
arrangements, they released Mum from hospital – it had been 3 weeks and 3 days
since her accident! Initially, they had intended to send her to a unit attached
to a local residential home which acts as a halfway house between hospital and
home and helps patients become more able to cope with day-to-day tasks, but
there were no rooms available and so they set up a Reablement Team and sent her
home. At first, I couldn’t get my head around what the Team did, as they were
going to come in 3 times a day but were not carers, as such. What they actually
do, is monitor and assess a patient’s ability to function well and safely at
home, put in place aids to assist and make suggestions as to how everyday tasks
could be tackled in a different way until full mobility is restored. They can
be in place for up to six weeks and will gradually reduce the number of visits
they make, if they feel the patient is coping well. Mum is so focussed on
becoming fully independent again that I’m sure she will succeed.
| Alpaca teatime |
I have had a couple of long-booked farm sits recently and so
my sister and brother-in-law came down from Sheffield in their camper van to
look after Mum while I was otherwise occupied, firstly with a one day
alpaca-sit at Pensford and secondly, a week-long farm sit at Dundry (from where
I am currently writing this blog). The Team wanted the relatives to ‘step back
a bit’ so that they could get a better picture of how Mum is really coping, so
they took themselves off to a camp site near Tewkesbury overnight, and plan a
two-day absence next week, if this goes well. It’s all very well wanting the
relatives out of the way a bit but I live the nearest to Mum and I’m two hours
away, if she feels she needs help – so this is a really good compromise.
With autumn seeming to have set in with a vengeance in the
last few days, I cannot see me getting away in Bunty for quite a while, but she
is not totally out of mind. Even though I have no market for my hand-knitted
garments at the moment, and no idea when I will have, I have continued to produce
items, mainly socks, just to keep myself occupied in the evenings, but I have
now decided to knit a series of squares in shades of blue and turquoise to make
into a blanket specifically for use as a throw for the rear seat of my van and
also a warm, lightweight covering on cooler nights.
I’m sorry that this hasn’t been a more uplifting blog but
let me leave you with a photo of one of this year’s alpaca babies at Bell Farm:

❤️ lovely blog, no matter what your mood is. It’s real life recounted honestly and that’s what makes it so readable. All good wishes for your mum’s full recovery and a bit of normality for you - if such a thing still exists! Xxx
ReplyDeleteas per usual, the Blog is exceptional!
ReplyDeleteHope You are feeling more upbeat Soon,
perhaps when your Mam is better You'll feel better (love to your Mam!!)