Sunday, 17 May 2020

Nature Diary #8



Hare in a bean field
Last Sunday morning I decided to go for a stroll to the lake, taking with me a carrier bag and foldable secateurs to gather any elderflowers that I might see. My mind was really only on my foraging mission, but I did slip my camera into my pocket on the off chance that I saw something of interest to photograph for you all! I was very glad that I had because, as I emerged onto the track near the bean fields, I spotted a hare a little way in front of me. I stood still to watch it and soon became aware that there was another hare in the bean field. I stood there for maybe five minutes and soon realised that there were more hares further over in the field, eating breakfast, chasing each other and generally having a high old time! After I’d counted ten, the novelty of the situation wore off a bit, but I did try to photograph some. However, even when they are not frightened, they move at an incredible speed, so the photos were not terribly successful! 


Hare today ... gone tomorrow!


Blurry Hare
Hare #3




















This brought back memories of when Jeni and I were WWOOFing together in Lancashire and went for a drive on our day off. We were driving through the Forest of Bowland, with a gravelly stream to one side of us, when we spotted an unusual bird – an oystercatcher! I backed the car up and we took photos. A bit further down the lane we saw another couple, and then more and, eventually, a flock of them – it was very funny, at the time, as our wonder turned to indifference!

You will be pleased to know that my mission was successful, and one batch of Elderflower Cordial has been made, with the next batch waiting to be bottled today. I have also made Gooseberry and Elderflower jam, which was very popular last year on my stall. Perhaps, one day, I’ll be able to sell it on the markets again!

I went for a longer walk on Tuesday, but although it was fairly early (about 8.30) and there was a gorgeous clarity to the light, I didn’t see much wildlife, at all. However I did come across a wonderful red, semi-double Hawthorn. It was growing in a field hedge, but looked too exotic to be a native plant, so perhaps it was an escapee. We have white, pink and red hawthorn near here, which is lovely.
White hawthorn


Pink Hawthorn




Red Hawthorn







































My walks generally take me out to the fishing lake and back and, quite often, I see nothing of note. I feel as if the lake area is quite secretive in that I rarely see any wildlife, but I hear moorhens calling, little rustlings in the bushes, odd splashes and ripples in the water but sometimes it offers up a little visual gem, like the huge carp I saw there the other week. Today it presented me with a mallard duck and three half-grown ducklings!

Mallard duck and ducklings

Nearer to home, I have been trying, unsuccessfully, to take a photo of our moorhen family. There are three chicks, but they are no longer little black balls of fluff, and have developed the characteristic long legs and large feet of the adult birds. Mum quite often takes them across the yard to feed under the wild bird feeder but, if she is startled, she flies back to the shelter of the shrubbery, leaving her poor youngsters to fend for themselves! We have put up a large sign near the entrance to the yard to warn any delivery drivers to beware.

I haven’t given you an update on Mr Swallow recently, mainly because I can’t work out what is going on! He has definitely found a mate but I think she is what is known as a ‘flighty piece’! It’s been a bit like ‘Location, Location, Location’ in that, one day, he came and proudly showed her his ‘home’ in the barn:
“This is where I was hatched and fledged, but Mum and Dad didn’t make it back, so we could set up home here. What do you think?”
“It’s a bit dark and dismal, isn’t it? Couldn’t we move somewhere a bit lighter?”
“Well, if you follow me through the interconnecting archway, there’s Uncle Sid and Aunt Miriam’s nest in the wood store – it’s a bit lighter in here and, in the summer, the humans don’t come in here much, so it’s a bit more secluded. I lost sight of Uncle Sid and Aunt Miriam over the Sahara, so I don’t think they’ll need it this year.”
“ Hmmm – it’s better, but it feels a bit claustrophobic and we might get trapped in here. Is there anywhere else a bit more open?”
“Oh, OK. Come with me outside to this little-used porch area on the other side of the yard. This belonged to Uncle Ken and Aunt Violet, but we lost them as we crossed from North Africa into Spain, so they won’t be needing it this year, either.”
“Oh yes, this is much better – lovely open aspect, and a view all down the yard, so we’ve got a good view of potential predators approaching … but it’s a bit draughty. Is there anything else?”

At which point, totally exasperated and dejected our hero gave up and flew off! They are still around the area somewhere as, every few days, he pays a nostalgic visit to his home nest and even brought his partner to sit on the electricity wire outside my door and have a little chat with me. No other swallows have made it back this year and the yard feels very empty without their chittering presence. I have spotted a few swallows on my walks, swooping low over the grass fields catching insects, but nowhere near the numbers that are usually hunting here, so I hope their numbers recover a bit this year and they manage to raise two or three broods successfully.

  
Red Admiral butterfly

White comfrey


No comments:

Post a Comment