Saturday, 28 March 2020

Nature Diary #1

My walk to the lake 


Dear Friends & Family

Since my last blog, our worlds have been turned upside down and we are now in a lockdown situation, isolated from our nearest and dearest and virtually unable to leave our homes, except for essential reasons.

I am very lucky in that I can get into the country from where I live, for my one allowed walk a day, so I have decided to keep a Nature Notebook of all the things I spot as I walk, to share with you. At the end of the day, Nature still does what it does, in its appointed season, despite what is going on in the human world, and it might help you to focus on something other than the doom and gloom surrounding us.

I will try to write a blog more frequently at this time, so that you can follow the progress of the seasons with me.

My daily walk takes me along a track, skirting several fields with patchy hedgerows, to a flooded disused railway cutting that is (rarely now) used as a fishing lake. There is a path all around the lake, although almost impassable on one side when the growth gets lush. On this side of the lake is an enormous badger sett, that extends into the field beyond. I have tried going at a different time each day, to see if there is a variation in what I see.

The fishing lake from the western end

21st March 8.30am.
The morning is bright and sunny with a cold east wind and, as I turn the corner on to the track, the low sun and bitterly cold wind make my eyes water so much that it is impossible to look up and see around me, but I hear a skylark trilling away high up somewhere and the distinctive call of chaffinches in the nearby trees. A couple of blackbirds burst from the hedge and fly off calling out the alarm. As I get to the lake I disturb a heron fishing for its breakfast and it flies off on lazy wings to land by the stream a field away. As I walk along the lake path I hear a commotion on the water and turn in time to see a cormorant, feet flailing on the surface, as it tries to lift itself up and away – another breakfast disturbed! On the far side of the lake the bank is a mass of primroses and there are the first few flowers of blackthorn emerging in the more sheltered parts of the hedge. In the hedge bases are the new leaves of ‘Lords & Ladies’ and Dog’s Mercury, as well as the ubiquitous Stinging Nettle. I see no animals today, but there is an old maize cob outside the badger sett (badgers do love maize!) and fresh deer footprints in the soft mud.
The bank of primroses by the lake

22nd March 12.30pm
Today is bright and sunny again with a more gentle, but still easterly, breeze.
Today I actually see the skylark, fluttering high up over the stubble field and singing its heart out – such a joyous sound! On the far side of the next stubble field I can make out three roe deer, grazing on the grassy field margin, and the local buzzard mews plaintively as he takes to the air from his perch in an alder tree by the stream. As I approach the lake I disturb the heron again – he’s going to get very fed up with me! There are a couple of mallard drakes on the water that take off, quacking indignantly, when they spot me. I think there are more blackthorn blossoms out today and the elder trees are coming into leaf. When I get back to my own domain I notice that the greengage and peach tree, that I am growing in pots, are in flower and the two young apple trees that I brought back from Oswestry are bursting into leaf! I’m sure this is all far too early and they are going to regret it!

23rd March 9.00am
Today is warm and sunny and I go off to, what turns out to be, my last gardening job – so no walk today. The garden where I am working  has masses of daffodils and cultivated primroses which attract some large bumble bees and a Peacock Butterfly. These are probably over-wintered individuals making the most of the early nectar and unseasonable warmth. In fact the weather is not really that unseasonable – we quite often get a week in late March that is warm and sunny and fools us into thinking that the good weather has arrived. A few years ago, when I still had the smallholding, we were expecting our sheep flock to start lambing in late March, so I took a week’s holiday to be around. The weather was gorgeous and I spent the entire week up in our field watching the sheep and enjoying the warmth and sunshine – needless to say, not a single ewe lambed until I went back to work the following week!

24th March – this is a complete blank – I know I went for a walk to the lake, but failed to make any notes! I can only assume that nothing of particular note was seen!

25th March 6pm
The weather today was again warm and sunny with very little breeze. I decided to try and conduct a badger watch this evening, so waited until the sun was low in the sky before setting off – my shadow was really long and thin, dancing along in front of me! As I came to the first stubble field, I startled a hare that shot off across the field in a loping run. My presence also spooked Mr Buzzard who took off and flew across the field to his preferred perch in the alder trees by the stream. When I got to the lake I quietly sat down on the ground close to the water and prepared for a long wait. I’d put on my tweed jacket and my brown work trousers so that I blended into the background a bit and pulled a green beanie low down on my head. There were moorhens pootling about in the reeds to my left and the two mallard drakes were swimming about to my right, so I didn’t dare move a muscle. Magpies and wood pigeons were flying about, preparing to roost for the night and, as the sun went down the bird sounds gradually stilled. Eventually, all that could be heard was the occasional call of a moorhen and the splash of fish jumping. I was sitting opposite the main badger earth works and slightly below the far hedge line where there is a well-defined badger path, so I was hopeful that I would see something. Gradually the light leached out of the sky and I could just make out a few rabbits on the hedge path silhouetted against the lighter sky. Suddenly I became aware of movement just below the badger sett, but it didn’t look like a badger, so I kept really still and waited. After a short time an adult roe deer emerged and walked casually along the far bank, completely oblivious to my presence – it must have only been 30 yards away – beautiful!. I had now been sitting still for nearly 2 hours on chilly ground with the temperature plummeting and darkness closing in, so I decided that no badgers were going to present themselves this evening and stiffly got up and made my way home. I may try this again at some point.
Part of the badger earthworks facing the lake

26th March 2.30pm
Another warm and sunny day, with not a cloud in the sky – without all the con trails, the sky seems a deeper blue than usual. There was hardly any bird song as I walked along – I’ve noticed this before, that birds seem to take a bit of a siesta for a couple of hours in early afternoon! I spotted two roe deer lying in the shade of the hedge on the far side of the second stubble field, but there was little else out and about. I saw Peacock and Red Admiral Butterflies doing their courtship dances above the field and, on my return from the lake, the skylark was up and singing. I did, however meet 3 humans out for their exercise, so have decided not to walk at this time again!

Preparations for the bonfire

27thMarch
I didn’t go out for a walk today as I was mainly having a bonfire and planting vegetable seeds!
After the bonfire! 

28th March 7.00am
Another bright and sunny day, but with a vicious north-easterly wind.
I looked like Nanook of the North when I went out today, as I could tell that the wind was stronger than yesterday and coming from a very cold direction. Obviously, most of the wildlife had decided to stay in bed for a bit longer today, as I didn’t see much on my walk to the lake. I realise that there are at least two skylarks in the area as they were both up and singing at the tops of their voices – I even managed to spot them silhouetted against the blue sky. I heard a chaffinch and several cock pheasants and there were lots of wood pigeons out and about. When I got to the lake I could hear the distinctive song of a chiff chaff but, as it is a small, shy brown bird, I had no luck spotting it. I thought the lake was pretty much deserted until I got to the more reedy, far end when there was an sudden eruption of frantic splashing and Mr Heron shot into the air in a total panic! Because of the direction of the wind he hadn’t heard me approaching until I was nearly upon him – another disturbed breakfast! Apart from that and a few windswept crows I didn’t see anything else.


The path on the south side of the lake






No comments:

Post a Comment