Monday, 9 January 2017

Festivities and Fun on the Farm!

Sunset over East Penrest farmhouse
Well, I failed miserably to get out a pre-Christmas blog, so may I take this opportunity to hope that you all had a happy festive season and that 2017 will be a good year.

On 10th November I headed off to Cornwall to do a brief farm sit for my friends, Jo and James. I was a bit anxious as to what I would find there as, earlier in the year, they had decided that they would drastically reduce their sheep flock and not put any ewes in lamb. I was really pleased to discover that they are retaining seven breeding ewes, because their granddaughter was so upset that there would be no lambs at the farm, and that my lovely No 74 was one of them! I had entertained thoughts of adopting her and driving back to Somerset with her strapped into the passenger seat of my car, if they had intended to sell her with the rest of the flock! James had split this mini-flock into two groups and put a ram in with each, and then the rest of the sheep that they hadn't yet sold were in three groups around the farm. During the first afternoon that I was there, I went round with James to see what was where and find out quantities of feed, etc. We visited No 74's little flock and, at first, she was a little stand-offish but then, just as I was going out of the gate, she walked over and lifted her head. I put my head down until our noses were virtually touching, fondled her ears and then she walked off to join the others. The fact that she still remembers me always brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes – hardly a hard-bitten farmer!

Luckily, all of the animals behaved themselves for the few days that I was in charge and several of the ewes 'went' to the rams, so hopefully, there will be the patter of tiny feet at the beginning of April, although, with only seven to lamb, I don't think my services will be required this year!  The chickens had had to be confined to their house and run as their numbers had been severely depleted by the frequent visits of a large dog fox, who picked them off one by one as they free-ranged around the orchard and fields. Jo had even seen him sitting brazenly in the middle of the orchard when she was outside! One afternoon I took the dogs for a quick walk as it was getting dusk and was surprised when Pickle suddenly hurtled off at full speed, shot under a field gate and proceeded to chase something down the hedge. I was just wondering why she'd taken it into her head to chase one of the farm cats when a blur of red and a large bushy tail broke through the hedge about ten yards from me, shot across the farm track and disappeared into the old quarry with both Pickle and Jess in hot pursuit. I'm glad that I didn't have a third dog with me as that would have been counted as 'hunting with dogs' and would therefore be illegal!
My Sunday Market stall

I returned to Somerset just in time for the inaugural Sunday Market in Shepton Mallet. It was an astounding success, even though we only had three weeks in which to promote and advertise it! We were also extremely lucky with the weather as either side of that Sunday we had torrential rain and there was widespread flooding in the area on Monday. The little stream that gurgles along about twenty yards from my annexe rose alarmingly and water poured in from the road and across the yard to add to the torrent. For a while I thought I might have to evacuate!




Stream in spate
Normal winter stream level

We have just heard that we will be allowed to run a monthly market on every third Sunday in 2017 starting in March, so that is really exciting news. The Friday Market has been a bit sporadic as far as sales go, but I live in hope that one day it will take off. The knitted Fairy Mice proved quite popular, and I am thinking of expanding the range to include Flying Pigs! I have also had several ideas for needle-felted animals and figures, but haven't had the time or space to experiment yet. In fact, before Christmas, I was living in such chaos surrounded by various knitting and felting projects and bags of wool and yarn that I got quite miserable, but things are about to change! My friend and landlady, Mary, is going to allow me to use one of the rooms in her house as a workroom and has been re-decorating it and making me a large work table so that I can leave projects out instead of having to tidy them away! I have been asked to run a one-off workshop on spinning, peg-loom weaving and preparing fleeces for the Somerset Smallholders group at the end of January and, if it goes well, I may offer to run some classes in my new workspace, so that will be amazing.

The run up to Christmas seemed to pass in a blur (doesn't it always?). We had our choir's Christmas Concert on 3rd December, which was very successful, and this was followed up on the 16th, 17th and 18th with Carol Services in our three local churches and finally a lunchtime concert on 19th for the Senior Citizens in Bruton! Surprisingly I still had a voice left at the end of it, which just proves how much my voice has strengthened over the last year with regular workouts!

On the 20th I was heading back down the A30 to Cornwall. In exchange for a Christmas farm sit, Jo and James offered me the use of their wonderful barn conversion for a family Christmas. Not all of the family could come but my Mum, my sister, brother-in-law and one of my nieces plus my two children managed to converge on Lezant on 23rd December, and stayed until 27th. The barn proved a brilliant space in which to celebrate with plenty of space for us all to get involved in meal preparation without getting in each other's way, and a snug/library area off the main room with a huge log burner that got very cosy in the evenings. I had one minor panic about Christmas dinner – the turkey that I had ordered online from the Tamar Valley Food Hub weighed in at an impressive 11.95Kg and only just fitted in the oven! It was, however, absolutely delicious and only took 6.5 hours to cook!!

The Christmas branch
Many years ago, when my ex and I were still together, we substituted a Christmas tree for the 'Christmas twig', as we didn't have much space in our cottage, and I would decorate it with white fairy lights and crystal decorations. Because we were only going to be together for a few days at the barn, we decided not to buy a real tree, but we still wanted some festive decorations, so I enlarged on the Christmas twig theme: James and I had cut down some overhanging branches from the track by the pond back in November, so I went and retrieved one of these and dragged/carried it back to the barn where I set it up in a large decorative pot and wedged it in with split logs. I then decorated it with lights and baubles and tinsel in red and gold and I must say that it looked quite attractive. I also cut holly and ivy from the hedges and made a willow wreath for the front door and draped the rest (artistically!) around picture frames, shelves and window sills.

Quad biking!


The weather, which had been wet and windy when everyone first arrived, managed to improve so that everyone could appreciate why I love coming to this part of Cornwall so much. Mum came down as far as the pond and also managed to see the Shepherd's Hut, and my two came for a walk down to the river and back through the wood on a couple of occasions, as did my sister. I think Jess, the sheep dog, thought she'd died and gone to heaven as she managed to persuade Dave to play stick throwing with her all the way down the farm track and all the way back up again! My niece went on a couple of three-mile runs around the local lanes (where does she get all that energy from?) and I think everyone enjoyed themselves. It was certainly great for me to have company whilst doing a farm sit. Jo and James had not managed to sell any more of their flock so I ended up looking after 60+ sheep, which justified me using the quad bike every day to ferry feed and hay to the various groups, so I was happy.

From Jo and James' I drove straight to Cheltenham to spend New Year with Mum and my brother and his daughter, so I have seen virtually all of my family in the last couple of weeks, which has been lovely as, being spread quite far apart, we don't often all meet up together.

I have a couple of farm sits booked for this year already and I am intending to do some actual WWOOFing again at some new venues, as well as with some old friends. I wish you all the best of health in 2017 and look forward to catching up with some of you. x


Dave with Jess, Pickle and stick








No comments:

Post a Comment