![]() |
| The Oast House, Mayfield, Sussex |
Going into July I was
very busy with three different gardening jobs, another mammoth
painting and decorating job for Jeni's boss (no, pedants, it wasn't a
mammoth – it was a newly-created cottage!) and my weekly stall at
the Shepton Mallet market, so it was with some relief that I took a
few days off to go, with my sister and my Mum, to Sussex, to revisit
the places where my grandmother had lived for most of her life and to
trace her family's roots. I'd done a bit of research beforehand and
had come up with two known addresses for my great-grandfather, and
various other places that were connected to the family. I hadn't been
back to Sussex since my grandmother had died when I was fourteen and
I think my sister had only been a couple of times.
We rented a
self-catering, converted oast house on a working farm and duly
arrived in a torrential thunderstorm! However, it didn't take long to
get warm and dry and have some dinner – Lynda had suggested that we
both take something for the first two evening meals so that we
wouldn't have to spend a lot of time shopping, so I'd done a quiche
and salad and lemon possets to follow. The little oast house was
really comfortable and Mum was quite intrigued to be sleeping in the
round tower where the hop drying floors had once been.
We were only away for
four days and three nights, but we managed to pack so much in that it
seemed longer. After much searching we eventually found the two
houses that my great grandfather had lived in, one of which was where
my Gran was born, and I also found a lot of old photographs of the
village on the internet so we could see what it must have looked like
when they lived there – it's now bisected by a very busy A road out
of London. We also found the convent where my grandmother had been
the gardener, and had a sneaky trek down the driveway to see the
cottage that she'd lived in then. I swear that the same fig tree was
growing against the old, mellow brick wall from which one of the
nuns, thinking to give us a treat, plucked two figs and popped one
into my sister's and one into my mouth. As we were only about four
and five at the time, we found them absolutely disgusting and it has
taken nearly sixty years for me to try another one! They're actually
delicious!
![]() |
| Bodiam Castle |
I was surprised and
pleased to discover that that part of the country is still quite
rural and full of glorious trees, mainly oaks and sweet chestnuts,
and that the inhabitants are very friendly – I'd expected places to
be like ghost towns during the week, as it is commutable to London,
and that people would be a lot more 'stand-offish'.
Once back in Somerset
it was on with the gardening, decorating, marketing routine and I
even took on another gardening job! I really am a glutton for
punishment – on every other Tuesday I now do six hours gardening,
followed by a further four hours on Wednesdays. As I explained to
some people at the market, even if I don't sell anything and my pitch
is £7.50, it's still worth it to me as I get to sit down for four
hours without feeling guilty that I should be doing something else!
![]() |
| Cropredy skies! |
My festival name is
Scrumpy so I felt I should take a decent tipple with me, not that
there isn't a good drop of cider to be bought at the bar (Weston's
Old Rosie and Stowford Press), so off I went to Roger Wilkins Cider
Farm at Mudgeley. I'd wanted either Dave or Jeni to accompany me as
I'd only been once or twice before and was unsure of the etiquette
when purchasing direct, but neither of them were available so I had
to go it alone. Although it is best to look and/or sound as if you
know what you're doing, I needn't really have worried, as there were
only two other punters present and 'Uncle Roger', who greeted me with
'Want a drink?'. I should explain further how this on-farm purchase
works: you turn up and are offered a drink to ascertain what mixture
of the two huge barrels of cider suits your palate. One is labelled
'Sweet' and the other, 'Dry', and, having tasted Dave's purchase for
Glastonbury, I already knew that I wanted the dry side of sweet.
Normally, the sample glass is a half pint so, if you get the mix
wrong and need another sample, you can swiftly become quite
inebriated! I declined the offer, as I was driving (as are most
people, as this farm is out in the back of beyond) and settled for
just under half sweet, topped up with dry as a good mix, then with my
gallon of scrumpy safely wedged in the boot of the car, I left the
other punters to it and went home.
The music at the
festival was the usual eclectic mix of old bands mixed with new
artists and folk, blues, ska and rock music all mixed in as well. 'Madness' headlined
one evening and 'The Bootleg Beatles' on another, plus some pretty
heavy rock bands on the Friday afternoon, when Lynda and I chose to
go off on our annual walk along the canal back into Cropredy, looking
at all the narrowboats and the various stalls set up in the village.
One of the most exciting bands, in my opinion, were a duo from
Australia called The Pierce Brothers. Their music had similarities to
Mumford & Sons and was incredibly energetic – I was amazed at
how much sound two people could produce! They had been touring Europe
for three months in a camper van with their tour manager, playing at
small venues and this was their last gig before they flew home. It
was a blisteringly hot day and there were 18,000 of us sitting on the
hillside watching them play – they had driven overnight from
Brussels, across Belgium, caught a ferry and then driven halfway
across England to get to us and we gave them an amazing reception
that blew them away, completely. The Red Arrows even flew past as they launched into their number
'Flying Home' – how spooky was that!
![]() |
| My prize-winning Labrador |
The following week I
finally gave myself some time off to go and see Karen and have a
massage and a catch up. If you remember, back in June, Mick and I had
created two no-dig veg beds for Karen and Ade and I could not believe
how productive they have become in such a short space of time! It was
fantastic to see how much fun and pleasure they have had this summer
from being able to grow their own veg again. Mick has now started
coming to the market on a Friday morning and has already built up
quite a gang of regulars, all clamouring for his fresh veg and salad
leaves, so I'm pleased to see all his hard work paying off.
And now, here I am, up my favourite remote Welsh valley, looking after one of my favourite dogs, Jasper, while Dawn and Tony are in Brittany. Can you fall hopelessly in love with a garden? I have been coming here for six years now and I really love reacquainting myself with it – usually at the end of a small hand fork! This time it has really been a bit of a challenge, as Tony has been very occupied with helping Dawn make sure that the two lodges, that they rent out in the gardens (wyldwoodsretreat.co.uk), are all up together and that the paths around the grounds are accessible, the lawns cut, etc., so the poor vegetable patch has taken very much a back seat. I have been attempting to exert some control over it and bring it back to a usable state so that Tony doesn't become too despondent. At the same time I have been helping Dawn clear spaces in one of the borders to plant new shrubs to give it a bit more structure. I would also like to cut back some of the hedges, prune the fruit bushes (I've done the raspberry canes), have a bonfire, reconstruct the compost heaps, dead head roses and other flowers that have finished, and weave in some new willow in the arbours! Unfortunately, I am only here for another couple of days, so it isn't looking possible!! Each time I come, the garden offers me an unexpected gift – this time it was a patch of pale pink cyclamen blooming in a shady area, right under the trees, so that their appearance was made even more striking. I love this garden!
![]() |
| Karen's garden in August |
![]() |
| Karen's garden in June |
And now, here I am, up my favourite remote Welsh valley, looking after one of my favourite dogs, Jasper, while Dawn and Tony are in Brittany. Can you fall hopelessly in love with a garden? I have been coming here for six years now and I really love reacquainting myself with it – usually at the end of a small hand fork! This time it has really been a bit of a challenge, as Tony has been very occupied with helping Dawn make sure that the two lodges, that they rent out in the gardens (wyldwoodsretreat.co.uk), are all up together and that the paths around the grounds are accessible, the lawns cut, etc., so the poor vegetable patch has taken very much a back seat. I have been attempting to exert some control over it and bring it back to a usable state so that Tony doesn't become too despondent. At the same time I have been helping Dawn clear spaces in one of the borders to plant new shrubs to give it a bit more structure. I would also like to cut back some of the hedges, prune the fruit bushes (I've done the raspberry canes), have a bonfire, reconstruct the compost heaps, dead head roses and other flowers that have finished, and weave in some new willow in the arbours! Unfortunately, I am only here for another couple of days, so it isn't looking possible!! Each time I come, the garden offers me an unexpected gift – this time it was a patch of pale pink cyclamen blooming in a shady area, right under the trees, so that their appearance was made even more striking. I love this garden!








No comments:
Post a Comment