Thursday, 28 April 2016

The Last Lamb

The last lamb!

I left home, heading for Cornwall, in torrential rain but at Honiton the rain stopped, the sun came out and I arrived at the farm in glorious sunshine. I was greeted by an ecstatic Jess, so knew that James wasn't far away – he was in the lambing shed, milking one of the ewes. The ewe had had to have a Caesarian as her lambs had died in utero, so normal birthing was not happening, and it was the only way to save her life. Amazingly, she had been up on her feet again ten minutes after the operation and was all set to make a full recovery.

Lambing had started just over a week before I got there and of the 20 ewes, 15 had already lambed! My special sheep, Lady (aka No 74), had had a fine pair of twins and mooched over to say 'hello' in her normal, understated, way but that was all the close contact we had as James decided to put some of the older lambs out in the field, because the forecast was for a spell of dry weather. Lady had been the 4th ewe to lamb so she was in the first tractor load out to the field. It always makes me smile when the ewes and lambs first go out because the lambs have never seen the big, wide world before or felt grass under their feet, so they are a bit hesitant, but the ewes just think 'Grass!' and put their heads down as soon as they get through the gate, quite often ignoring the anxious calls of their offspring.

With only five ewes left to lamb I was desperate not to miss out on any of the births but when I woke the next morning there was another set of twins in the barn – and then there were four! As the weather was fine (but with a chilly wind) I volunteered to take the dogs and walk down to the furthest field from the farm to check on the sheep that were there. Since my last visit, back at the end of January, they had had a lot more rain, and one particular storm had been so fierce that the water running down the farm track had scoured out a gully, washing away the small stones and leaving the larger, loosened, stones behind. This made walking quite tricky and I was glad of my trusty, thumb-stick to give additional support. Having checked the sheep I hurried back up to the farm as I realised that I had been gone for about an hour and another sheep could have lambed in that time. All was quiet in the barn, so that evening I asked if I could be woken, whatever the time, if another ewe went into labour – next morning there were more lambs, but no-one had been awake at the time she decided to produce them – so then there were three!

I was extremely reluctant to leave the environs of the lambing shed after that, so made sure I was within hailing distance at all times. I did some work in the greenhouse and vegetable patch, planting seeds and constructing a windproof, runner bean trellis and then I had a large bonfire in the old orchard next to the house. After a few years of the old pole barn being held up with accro props, James and Nick (the farmer/builder) had completely reconstructed it and, whilst it was down, had taken the opportunity to fell some large ash trees that were growing behind it. This had led to a huge pile of brashy twigs and small branches which, over a period of a couple of days, I reduced to a, significantly smaller, pile of ash! There was also an old apple tree that had fallen down in the gales so James asked me to cut off all the small branches from that and burn them, as well. It was while I was doing this that the cry went up 'There's one on lambing!' I dropped everything and tore round to the lambing shed where James was trying to get the ewe in a pen on her own. 
The pile of branches to be burned

The last three ewes left to lamb were all first-time mums and this one, although pushing hard with each contraction seemed to be getting nowhere – there wasn't even a water bag showing, which is usually the first sign of imminent birth, so James decided to catch her and take a 'look' at what was going on. Having carefully applied lubricating gel to his fingers, he had a feel and discovered that there were the required two feet and a nose, but the ewe had not fully dilated and was unable to push the lamb through the too-narrow gap, so a few tense minutes elapsed while James gently massaged the tight muscles to get them to relax enough to pull the lamb through. At last, after what seemed like an agonising age, a live lamb was safely pulled into the world, but the mum was so shocked by her experience that she refused to have anything to do with her offspring! James is unfailingly patient with his sheep and spent the next half hour or so, on his knees in the straw, coaxing and reassuring the ewe until, the pain receding into a memory (much like humans!) she began tentatively to lick the newcomer, all the time looking to James for reassurance that she was 'doing the right thing'. Once the baby had suckled and was up on its feet, we left them together to bond properly without any more intervention.

It wasn't long before the penultimate ewe went into labour, too, and again there was no water bag first and just a nose to be felt upon inspection. I assisted, by keeping the ewe still while James tried to find the front legs and get them into the approved 'diving' position (legs both forward and extended with the head resting between them). This involved trying to push the head back into the birthing canal, against the ewe's efforts to expel it, whilst trying to flip the legs forward from their backward-facing position. Eventually, the lamb was in the correct position but, again the muscles were tight and it was quite a struggle to pull the lamb out. Once out, it was placed by the ewe's head where she immediately began to vigorously lick it clean while we waited for the twin to be born. Amazingly, although only a little smaller than its sibling, the second lamb slid into the world almost unnoticed by its mother, who seemed quite surprised when confronted with another baby to care for!

The last ewe was almost a week behind the others and was not due until the following Saturday. Jo and James were going away for a few days on the Monday, returning on Thursday afternoon, so I felt confident that nothing would happen before they came back, and I could just concentrate on feeding the rest of the flock and keeping an eye on things. They had also dropped the small bombshell that this was probably the last year that they would be doing any lambing, as they are scaling back their farming enterprise in the run up to ultimate retirement.

On Tuesday morning I fed the ewes and lambs left in the barn and the ones out in the field and checked on the other two groups of sheep before coming back up the farm track with the intention of going in doors for a coffee. I casually glanced in the lambing pens as I walked past and was surprised to hear the tell-tale whickering bleat of a ewe that has just lambed or is about to lamb! I did a double-take and then took a closer look as she repeated the noise – there was very little evidence that anything was happening, but her behaviour suggested otherwise, so I quickly constructed a smaller pen to contain her and then rushed into the house to wash my hands thoroughly before returning to the barn. In just those few minutes the ewe had gone from bleating to full-scale contractions, but there was no water bag and, upon inspection, only a nose that was fast becoming the whole head – there were no legs obvious. I tried to gently push the head back to give me room to try and find the legs, but the contractions were really strong. In the end I remembered a useful tip that I'd once been given – turn the ewe over and raise her back legs in the air so that gravity works in your favour, and by doing this I was able to get a finger looped around one leg and pull it forwards. There was, however, absolutely no sign of the other leg, and the ewe was pushing so vigorously that the head was almost born, so I took the decision to birth the lamb with only one leg forward, as it was all taking far too long. Luckily for me, this ewe was fully dilated and the lamb, although a single, was not overly large, so it burst into the world quite easily. Unluckily for me, it no longer seemed to be breathing, so I swung it to and fro trying to clear the airways of the fluid it must have inhaled as I struggled to bring it into the world. After what seemed an incredibly long time (probably no longer than a minute or two) the little scrap coughed, sneezed and shook its head, so that I could at last offer it to the ewe for cleaning. I have never been so relieved or full of joyous wonder at the miracle of new life!

However, I was brought down to earth with a bump (if not a resounding crash) the following morning when I noticed one of last year's lambs looking a bit under the weather. As I went to take a closer look, it collapsed and could not get up, so I made a pen at the top of the field, near the gate, and, by rolling it onto some old silage wrap, pulled it up the field and put it in the pen. It seemed to have a runny nose and its breathing was a bit erratic, so I thought it might have contracted pneumonia. James had shown me where all the medicines were before he left, so I drew a syringe of a broad-spectrum antibiotic and gave the sheep an injection in its rump. However, when I went back to check on it a couple of hours later it was dead – such a fast decline! I was still feeling bad about it when Jo and James returned but I couldn't have done anything more than I did. That's the trouble with farming – elated one minute and depressed the next!

The rest of my stay was pretty uneventful, which was probably a good thing, and I spent my final weekend trying to construct a replacement willow sheep for the one that I made a couple of years ago – it didn't really look much like a sheep to me, but it will be a talking point for people coming to stay in the Shepherd's Hut!

And finally (with apologies to Shakespeare):

                                                           East Penrest

                                 I know a bank where the wild primrose grows,
                                 and violets nod when a gentle breeze blows;
                                 where celandines with yellow heads
                                 and ferns, unfurl from grassy beds.
                                 In fields nearby lambs bleat
                                 and anxious ewes reply,
                                 whilst overhead an arc of sky
                                 so blue it takes your breath away.

                                 I know a path where the silver stream glides
                                 down to a pond with steep grassy sides,
                                 where kingfishers flash in a shaft of sun
                                 and moorhens shelter when day is done.
                                 In woods nearby jays call
                                 and distant birds reply,
                                 whilst overhead an arc of sky
                                 so blue it takes your breath away.

                                  I know a wood, so ancient and still
                                  away down the track, at the base of the hill,
                                  where squirrels leap from tree to tree
                                  and deer rest quietly, too still to see.
                                  It's here that my soul finds sanctuary
                                  and ancient spirits hear my cry,
                                  whilst overhead an arc of sky
                                  so blue it steals my heart away.




No comments:

Post a Comment