![]() |
| Sunset over the valley |
I have just spent two
weeks in another of my favourite places – a few miles from Oswestry
and a couple of miles into Powys. It's been nearly a year since I was
last there and I was keen to see what had changed in the garden since
my last visit.
Jeni came with me to
spend a long weekend with Dawn and Tony, with whom she gets on really
well. We set off from Somerset just after 10.00 on a morning that saw
the first (and last?) snow fall of the winter here, and the journey
was interspersed with flurries of sleet and rain. We broke our
journey at lunchtime at the Bellmans Cross Inn at Shatterford
just north of Kidderminster, where I had lunched twice before. On
both previous visits I had been, more or less, the sole diner but
when we called in this time we were lucky to get a table! Despite the
fact that there was only one person waiting at table, assisted by the
French chef, Dominique, we were served remarkably quickly. I have to
say the chips that accompanied our panini were the best chips
I have ever had, anywhere! Fully fortified we continued on our
way and arrived at Moelfre at about 4pm, where we were given a great
welcome.
The next morning we
woke to a light dusting of snow, but it soon melted allowing us to do
a bit of work in the greenhouses and garden, although this was limited by the sodden ground from weeks of rain, but on the Sunday there
was slightly more snow which took longer to melt, so Jeni and I
worked in one of the cabins painting the walls and window frames so
that it was ready for the first let of the season, just after Easter.
(If you fancy a tranquil, 'glamping' experience check out
wyldwoodsretreat.co.uk ). Sadly,
Jeni had to go home on the Monday, so I took her to the station at
Gobowen, just outside Oswestry and saw her off on the train, before
returning to Moelfre.
Early on Thursday
morning, amid a flurry of last minute activity, Dawn and Tony left
for Brittany and I was left alone with just Jasper (the Miniature
Schnauzer) and Missy (the cat) for company.
The silence was
profound. It was so quiet that the silence seemed to push in on me
and I was aware of the sound of the blood pulsing through my head. If
it hadn't been for the birdsong I could imagine that I'd just been
struck stone deaf! As last year, there are no sheep in the immediate
vicinity at the moment, although I could hear ewes bleating for lambs
and vice versa, away down the valley towards the little village of
Moelfre, and the eerie sound of a donkey braying, but here there were just the birds.
![]() |
| A cheeky squirrel waits his turn on the feeders |
![]() |
| His friend cleans up underneath the feeders |
I began to compare the
situation at home with the situation here and realsied that 'rush
hour' started at about the same time – 5.30am! At home it is the
gradual build up of traffic on the A37, rushing past to Bristol and
Bath; here it is the noisy explosion of the jackdaws as they throw
themselves into the sky like a black Roman Candle firework, before
turning en masse and heading off east down the valley for a day of
feeding in the fields. They are shortly followed by traffic going in
the opposite direction – a formation of about ten Canada geese who
honk their way west up the valley from their safe overnight haven on
Moelfre Lake. From then on it's just the constant to-ing and fro-ing
of the birds on the feeders. Dawn has a feeding station just outside
the window where there are two peanut feeders, a fat ball feeder, a
seed feeder and a niger seed feeder. At first I couldn't understand
why I was having to refill both peanut feeders and the seed feeder
every two days until I got up a bit earlier one morning and, on
looking out of my bedroom window, saw two squirrels eating seeds and
then counted at least six jays visiting the peanut feeders! For the
rest of the day, it was a constant fast food takeaway for dozens of
blue-, coal-, great- and long-tailed-tits, nuthatches, goldfinches,
chaffinches, robins, blackbirds and the resident woodpecker. I also
spotted a siskin and a marsh tit (I think). The majority of the
birds visiting were blue tits and they would usually feed quite
happily with the coal tits, who were very shy, and the long-tailed
tits, but they all deferred to the great tits when they turned up.
Most of the birds retreated to a safe distance when the woodpecker
came to feed, although the long-tailed tits were cheeky enough to
feed from the other side of the feeder, but everything retreated when
the nuthatch turned up! They are quite aggressive birds and will
chase everything away, including the woodpecker.
As dusk creeps into the
base of the valley and gradually climbs up the steep valley sides,
the little birds stop feeding and disappear to their overnight roosts
but, in the sky overhead an amazing phenomenon happens – the
jackdaws come home. It didn't happen every night, and some evenings
were more spectacular than others, but they start to appear from all
points of the compass, in small groups that gradually join together
and wheel above the night-darkened valley in an intricate swirling
ballet – hundreds of them! It is like a starling murmuration but
they are much bigger birds and they call continuously as they dance
in the darkening sky. The collective noun for jackdaws is a
'clattering' but that seems to imply something chaotic, whereas this
looks like a well-choreographed and well-rehearsed piece of dance. (I
managed to capture a video of part of this, it is about six minutes
long and can be found on YouTube ref: https://youtu.be/VLcLLjFhPpU )
and then, at some hidden signal, they fall out of the sky
into their roost and peace returns to the valley for another night. Spine-tingling stuff!
The weather improved
dramatically during the week that I was there on my own and I managed
to do some gardening and paint the front of the larger lodge. I'd
taken a lot of things to do if I was stuck indoors – knitting wool
and needles, crochet hooks, my peg loom and a couple of books, but I
hardly needed any of them. Because everything was so sodden and
slippery in the garden, Tony and I hadn't even discussed the
vegetable plot so, after I'd done my annual tidy up of the potting
shed (which took a fraction of the time it normally takes – perhaps
my influence is rubbing off, although it's more likely that Tony has
been occupied on hard landscaping and building projects of late!), I
started weeding the raised beds at the bottom of the plot and just
worked my way uphill. I discovered that, if I put my old gardening
jacket on the ground, Jasper would happily sit on it for hours while
I weeded, without fussing or wanting to wander off. In the end I only
managed to weed four of the beds (there were another five or six to
go) as I overdid it and made my back ache too much to continue –
obviously not as fit as I thought I was. I did however, manage to
have a good bonfire, although there are still loads of fallen twigs
and small branches to be collected around the garden after the winter
storms.
At the end of my week
of house-sitting, I reluctantly packed my car and left Moelfre, with
the hope that I get to return at least once more this year, and
headed south. The day, which had started out beautifully sunny at
Moelfre, quickly deteriorated into a sullen grey, and my decision to
come back a slightly different, and potentially more scenic, route
began to seem like a bad one as any view of the Shropshire hills was
blanked out by low cloud and mist. For most of the journey down the
A49 towards Ludlow and Leominster, I was behind two lorries and the
steady 50mph proved very tiring. I'd planned to drive cross-country
to Gloucester and then blast down the M5 to just south of Bristol
before making my way back across the Mendips to home, but I was so
tired by the time I reached Gloucester that I stopped in a lay-by and
rang my Mum in Cheltenham to see if she was in. My intention was to
stop for a couple of hours, have a cup of tea and a chat and then
continue on my way, but Mum persuaded me to stay overnight and
continue my journey the next morning. I didn't need much persuading,
as my back and shoulder ached quite badly by then.
![]() |
| The rebuilt Cotswold stone wall |





No comments:
Post a Comment