Wednesday, 9 December 2015

Nostalgia - it ain't what it used to be!

TC Dixie
I think I have finally reached that age where looking back is almost preferable to looking forward. Perhaps it isn't really an age thing at all, but a feeling of uncertainty about what my future holds and what I am actually 'doing with my life'. I feel busy quite a lot of the time and 'useful', particularly when I am on my travels helping other people on their farms and in their gardens, but I'm not really sure what I am actually doing or who I really am. I keep dipping my toe in different patches of water to see if things fit, for example, as I like cooking, I now bake for the local Country Market and have recently joined a local singing group as, many years ago, I used to enjoy belonging to a Choral Society. But I just feel sometimes that I no longer quite fit in to any niche: I've been a wife, twice; I've been a mother, twice, but the marriages ended and the children don't need my every day input any more and I feel like I'm marking time. So it's been quite interesting to have a bit of a nostalgia-fest recently.

As I wrote, back in October, I attended a School Reunion where, not only did I meet up with 'girls' that I was at school with in my teens, but also some 'boys' that I knew from Junior School. It knocked me off kilter for a day or two afterwards as, having your distant past suddenly colliding with your present is a bit unnerving but, on balance, I would say that it was a very positive experience and put me back in touch with people who had been very important during my formative years.

So it was with a degree of trepidation that I agreed to go with Jeni and Dave to their Dad's college reunion, a couple of weekends ago. Ed attended Twickenham College of Technology where he joined the very vibrant music scene and became part of a jazz band called TC Dixie. In fact, he and I met when, one summer when I was at College and working for the holidays in the Lake District, a large group of ex-Twickenham College students, staff and their families arrived for a week's holiday.

Roll forward a couple of years and we were living in Twickenham and TC Dixie had become semi-professional, with gigs in pubs and clubs around London, at weekends. Sometimes I would tag along and act as unofficial roadie, helping to carry in amps, mics and metres of leads from the back of the car (Ed had an estate car so got to carry a lot of the gear!) You get to see venues before the razzamatazz of the event; stale beer and smoke smells, harsh lighting highlighting the stained table tops and scuffed carpets, the peeling paint and general world-weariness of it all and then – transformation! Low lights, milling people, laughter, chat and above it all the vibrant live music filling the place with magic. There was a core of players in TC Dixie that never changed but often there would be a different person who stayed for a while – they had an actor who used to play the drums and Acker Bilk's former trumpet player was a regular for a long time – his rendition of 'Georgia on my Mind' used to make the back of my neck prickle. When we left Twickenham for the West Country in about 1977 this all came to an end and I hadn't seen anyone from that era much since then.

Roll forward 38 years and you find Jeni and me driving down the A303, up the M3 and into Twickenham where I managed to find the Premier Inn that we'd booked into, without too much difficulty. It shouldn't have been difficult at all as it was located next to our 'local' pub that I perhaps went in half a dozen times when we lived there! It was odd to realise that, although I had lived and worked a stone's throw from here for four or five years, I couldn't remember the area at all! Luckily, Ed and his partner came to pick us up and take us to the venue as it was on the other side of Twickenham and I would never have found my way there. Dave had just arrived from Stevenage when we got there so we all went in together and there they were – the people from my past, older obviously, but still recognisable once the initial strangeness had worn off. The 'gig' kicked off at 2.30 and we were treated to several different performances during the afternoon from the wide-ranging talent that had flourished back in the late Sixties and early Seventies at Twickenham College. Some of those present had gone on to become professional musicians and were still performing today, others had got back together especially for the concert – there was jazz, rock, electric folk and blues and, at the end of the day, TC Dixie, playing their vibrant Dixieland jazz. I tried to take a couple of videos (which my camera subsequently deleted ,unseen) but I was tapping my foot and singing along with a huge grin on my face so they probably would have been useless anyway! In fact, for their entire performance, I was aware that I was grinning from ear to ear, so much so that my jaw muscles ached afterwards! When you think that these guys (apart from the drummer) were well into their sixties, hadn't performed together for decades (apart from these reunions, which only started about four years ago) and hadn't had the opportunity to rehearse beforehand, the sound they made was incredible and uplifting. What a blast!

But nostalgia hadn't finished with me yet. A couple of days ago, one of the people that I met up with again at the School Reunion, posted a very interesting article on Facebook about the various historical spas that had been located in Cheltenham (my home town, for anyone who doesn't know that and, no, before you ask, I did not go to the Ladies' College!). At the end I went to click the 'Like' button but someone else had beaten me to it – a name I hadn't seen for so many years that I did a double-take. Could it be? It wasn't a particularly unusual name, but it seemed like too much of a coincidence, so I clicked onto his Facebook page and, looking at his photo, I realised that it was definitely him! My biggest childhood buddy, from Junior School.

I'm afraid I shall have to explain a bit about my early life so that you can fully understand why this seemed to be such a momentous occurrence. From the time I was born until I was 6, I lived with my family on one side of Cheltenham and attended the local school. When I was nearly 7, we moved to a larger house to accommodate our growing family (my brother had just been born), but this house was on the other side of Cheltenham. Mum and Dad didn't want to move us from our school as we were doing so well, so we continued to attend. However, this meant that we were separated from most of our friends but, surprisingly, there was a small enclave of other pupils living quite close to us in our new home, who also 'commuted' to school – Nigel being one of them. As being at a different school more or less ostracised us from the local youngsters, we tended to hang around in a group together, and spent hours playing in the old derelict house and grounds across the road from our house, climbing trees, making bows and arrows, that sort of thing, and Nigel, being my age and in my class at school, was my special mate. Once we went our separate ways – he to the Boys' Grammar School and me to the Girls', we seemed to lose contact almost overnight. Why does that happen? When I look back, I lost touch with virtually all of my Junior School friends at the same time, even those who went on to the same school as me(although the policy then was to split up friendship groups and put them in different classes – how cruel was that?).

On a whim, I sent Nigel a 'friend request', failing to fully identify myself and the next day was just about to send a message to explain, when he granted my request – he'd managed to work out who I was, despite the name change. For an hour or so yesterday afternoon, we messaged each other back and forth, exchanging memories mainly but with the firm intention of meeting up in the New Year as he only lives at Taunton with his wife of 41 years (it was their anniversary yesterday) and I think some of his five children live nearby, too! Again, for the whole of the time that we 'chatted' I wore a stupid grin on my face, which continued for most of the day.

I'm sure that most of you are now shaking your heads in dismay that I seem to be a lot happier wallowing about in my past than I am living in my present, and I must admit, that it bothers me too, but I'm hoping that somehow it will help me in the long run to remember who I used to be, so that I can work out who I am now. Well, that's enough of the deep thinking for now – the next blog will probably be after the festive season is over so I shall take this opportunity to wish my loyal reader(s) a very happy time over the coming few weeks and I'll be back (hopefully on top form) in 2016!

No comments:

Post a Comment