Friday, 15 May 2015

Walks with Woody (and other excursions)

Woody and me at Maesbury iron-age hill fort
Today marks the anniversary of the commencement of my WWOOFing adventure 5 years ago but, instead of doing a summing-up of my previous year I have decided to get up-to-date with my general blog. I have called this blog 'Walks with Woody' because I rather liked the alliteration, but there has been a lot more than that going on recently.

Rabbit proof fence panels
Once back in Somerset I set to with a vengeance to make my rabbit-proof fencing as everything in the greenhouse had doubled in size whilst I was away! My friend thinks the whole idea is ludicrous as I have spent quite a lot on buying treated timber battens, 1” square weld mesh, fence posts, etc to guard a vegetable garden which will eventually be about 24 feet long by 12 feet wide and contain one raised bed 20 feet long by 6 feet wide and a few assorted pots and containers. But, as I pointed out to her, it will help to keep me occupied when I am 'at home'. I have made friends with a chap who rents some land on the other side of the main road on which he has constructed several raised beds and a polytunnel and is now growing salad leaves commercially. I spent a few hours one Friday morning picking leaves for a local restaurant and, in return, Mick gave me a huge bag of salad leaves, some rhubarb and sea kale – one day he may be well-established enough to pay me in money but, until then, I shall never have to buy salad again!

On Friday, 1st May, Jeni and I donned some 'decent' clothes and headed off to my friends' handfasting ceremony which was held in their garden on top of the Mendips at Binegar. They have been together for many years but finally decided to make it all legal, and the handfasting was just the beginning of a weekend of celebration which Jeni and I were privileged to attend. Unfortunately, the weather was not as kind as it could have been and our flimsy summer clothes were no match for the cold wind that was blowing atop Mendip. However, the ceremony itself was lovely with Karen and Ade being 'handfasted' (literally having their hands bound together) with strings of ivy, before jumping the broomstick and also a cauldron of hot coals! This ceremony has its roots back in antiquity when the poor of the parish could not afford to pay the priest to marry them in church and so, with all their friends and family as witnesses, they 'tied the knot' and jumped the broomstick to begin their lives together. It felt very special to be part of such an age-old custom.
A lovely cake for a lovely couple

On Sunday the actual marriage took place and, because the Shepton Registry Office is in the throes of moving and the Wells Town Hall venue was unavailable due to the upcoming elections, the Registrar was able to perform the ceremony in the marquee that had been set up just along the road from their home, on land belonging to some good friends. Karen had requested that everyone (both male and female) wore hats to the ceremony and had then provided clothes pegs around the marquee on which we could hang them, if we wanted to. Respecting Karen's wish that we post no photos on the internet of the actual ceremony and guests, I have taken the liberty of including a couple of general shots from the day. I didn't know many people there although, over the years, Karen had mentioned most of them so it was good to put names to faces at last. One person that I did know, however, was my old work mate, JP, who was over from Ireland especially for the ceremony and had brought his lovely new partner, Nina. What a treat it was to catch up with him again after so many years.
Festive bunting and hats
On Bank Holiday Monday I drove to my Mum's in Cheltenham prior to us going on holiday the following day. We set off for Port Eynon on the Gower Peninsula just after 10.00am and met up with Mum's friend, Meg and her daughter, Deb, at a beach just south of Bridgend for a picnic lunch. Well, although the day was bright and dry there was a stiff breeze (strong wind!) blowing in off the sea so that our salad was in severe danger of blowing away so Mum and I retreated to the car to eat ours. Afterwards Mum and I went for a walk to stretch our legs and investigate a walled garden (I am such a sucker for walled gardens!) that was just along the beach and was the sole surviving part of a large house called Dunraven Castle. This beautiful-looking stately home (from the photos on the information boards) was demolished in 1962 as there was no perceived use for it! Criminal! It would have made an amazing hotel or holiday apartments – why did so much destruction of fine buildings take place in the 1960s?

Having lost our bearings around Port Talbot, and seen rather too much of that town, we finally arrived at our holiday cottage at just gone 4.00pm and joined Meg and Deb in the pub, which was just across the road. We ate there that night and the food was surprisingly good plus they served Thatcher's Gold cider on tap, so I was happy. The cottage itself was done out very stylishly – not an old lobster pot or carved seagull anywhere! - and was very well-equipped. There were four bedrooms and three bathrooms so we hardly got in each other's way at all and it had been a well-priced bargain for a mid-week break. From there, for the next couple of days, we explored as many of the beaches and bays that we could drive to and managed to get Meg, who uses a 3-wheeled walker, down onto a couple of them. I had never been to the Gower before and thought it absolutely beautiful with its long, sandy beaches, narrow lanes and abundance of wild flowers – I don't think that I have ever seen so much wild garlic growing anywhere before – the woods were carpeted with it!
Port Eynon, Gower, South Wales
We came back on the Friday, calling at Aberdulais Falls at Neath, to break our journey, look around the old tin works and have some lunch in the old schoolroom and then, on Saturday, I headed back to Somerset where I weeded the vegetable garden, packed my car and headed off to Binegar to house/dog sit for Karen and Ade while they went to Cornwall for their honeymoon.

Woody is a Border Terrier crossed with a Jack Russell Terrier and is a lovely little chap. He always gets very excited when I visit so I was a bit concerned when I opened the front door and he didn't even come to see me or bark at my arrival. I can only think that he had seen Karen and Ade packing and was upset that he'd been left behind – I don't think they've ever left him before. However, we soon settled down together and he took me for a lovely walk around the village that afternoon. I say 'he took me' because, as we walked along the lane near the house, we passed one public footpath sign, which he ignored but, when we got to the next public footpath sign he got very excited and pulled me off along it! We crossed a field and clambered over a stile into another little lane and walked along this, passing under a disused railway bridge, before coming out on a lane I recognised and making a circular walk back to the house.

The next day was dry with some sunshine but a really cold wind. I had looked at the Ordinance Survey map of the area and decided to visit Maesbury Castle, an iron-age hill fort, which was a short car journey away. Woody sat as good as gold as we drove the couple of miles to a pull-in that I had noticed at the side of the road, and then we clambered over a stile and walked steadily uphill until we reached the hill fort. The earth bank ramparts are still really impressive, particularly from the outside where they are about 20 feet high, in places. From the top of the bank there is a 360 degree panorama and, on a clear day, you can see to the Quantocks in the South, the Bristol Channel to the West, the Cotswolds to the North and Wiltshire to the East – an amazing defensive position. It was a bit hazy but the view was still spectacular and Woody enjoyed himself trying to dig for moles and rabbits, which obviously abound up there.

Weather changes so rapidly on Mendip – the following day was hot and cloudless with hardly any wind and we spent some time in the garden. Later in the afternoon I decided to take our last walk together along a lane in the village, along some footpaths across farmland and back into the village further down the hill before returning to the house and, perhaps, calling in on Karen and Ade's friends in their beautiful cottage on the corner. However, things did not go according to plan! I took the map with me (always a good idea) and we set off happily enough along the lane. It was very pleasant walking in the dappled shade with bees and flies buzzing about and the bluebells nodding on the grass verge. Eventually we came to the track that was marked on the map as the start of our footpath walk. It looked like someone's driveway but soon widened out into what had once been a sizeable lane. At the end of this green lane we came out onto a farm track and this was where our problems started. We walked up the track towards the farm and were directed, quite firmly, by a man in a tractor, away from the track and through a field gate. 'Go through the gate, turn right and across the field', he said, so that was what we did. Unfortunately, the only gate out of the field was back onto the track on the other side of the farmhouse and was tied shut. It also had weld mesh cladding on one side (and this is important in the story) so, while Woody scrambled under the barbed wire fence, I climbed over the gate and dropped down the other side, as I couldn't climb down because of the cladding. Back on the track we took off again but then I realised that it was veering away from the direction shown on the map and we soon found ourselves on the disused railway line – not where we were meant to be at all! I did not want to go back the way we had come because I couldn't climb the gate from this side (because of the cladding) and I didn't want to walk through the farmyard and risk being shouted at by an angry farmer on a tractor! I made the (foolish) decision to walk along the railway line towards the road, in the hope that we could get out from there. It was not long before I was thigh-high in nettles and brambles and poor little Woody had disappeared in a green jungle that closed over his head. We struggled on for a bit but it was obvious that we would never make it back to the road that way. In the end we slid our way down the embankment, over a barbed wire fence (under in Woody's case) into a field and then through another barbed wire fence into another field that ran alongside the embankment, which we then followed until we reached a lane where, thankfully, there was a gate. We were both hot, tired and I, for one, was tingling all down my legs from numerous stings from the nettles, and scratches from the brambles, and we still had a mile or so to go to reach home. However, the walk along the lane through shady wooded areas restored us both a bit and I was looking forward to calling in at the pub for half a pint of cider, but it looked as if it was still closed as we tramped past and I felt rather disheveled anyway so, nearly three hours after we had jauntily set off on our short walk, we limped home and collapsed in a heap. Well, I did – Woody promptly went off to find a ball in the garden and try to persuade me to play catch!
En route between Somerset and Cheltenham on top of the Cotswolds

No comments:

Post a Comment