Monday, 9 March 2015

Number 74

No 74 - aka 'Lady'


"She's in the pen over there, too weak to stand,
We'll have to foster her twins."


I stand and look at you, you won't meet my eyes
as if ashamed to be found weak and helpless

Your twins bounce around the pen, use you as a climbing frame
unaware of your plight

We find a foster mum, she's reluctant to feed them,
so we hold her while they suckle and then return them to you

You show no interest in the babes of whom you were so proud,
your mind turned inwards on your illness

We dose you with antibiotics, you fail to rally.

Next day we take your lambs away, they are too much for you
and you can no longer look after them

We move you gently and support you in a standing position
but there is no hope in your eyes, and little in my heart

We feed you high energy drinks of molasses, minerals and water
a tube placed gently at the back of your throat

Almost in despair I try natural yogurt mixed with water
it's worked on another sheep before

Days pass and you grow weaker – you no longer bleat
for your babies, and the foster mum has accepted them completely

One more time we lift you to a standing position, pressed against the pen side
your head lolling feebly near your water bucket

Miracle!

You dip your head and drink as if your life depends on it which, of course
it does. I cry.

Ridiculous hope refuses to be quenched

I gather ivy leaves and cut grass from the field.
I bring them to you like gifts for a queen or a lady

Lady – that is what I call you and I talk to you all the time as I sit in the straw,
roll grass into small pellets and gently hand feed you.

You chew, perhaps it is a reflex action, but you chew and chew and swallow
and my heart soars with hope

I tell you of how the summer will come and the grass will be green and the sun will be hot
and you'll graze in the meadows once more.

Do you understand? Do you believe me? You chew and swallow, chew and swallow
rest your head in my lap, chew and swallow, chew and swallow.

The day before I have to go I ask if you could try and stand by yourself .

I really don't hold out much hope, you are still so weak.

Next day I come to say 'Goodbye'

You are standing – on your own – by yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment