Wednesday, 7 January 2015

The end of the old year

Happy New Year to you all! Having transferred all my memorable dates from one diary to another, written in the commitments that I already have for the year ahead and filed my online Tax Return, I feel able to write another blog with a clear conscience!

'Honeycomb' tea light holder
I had nothing planned before Christmas apart from a special treat for Jeni and me – a day of porcelain tealight lantern making in Cheltenham at the beginning of December. We arrived at the venue at the Wilson Gallery (the new and improved Art Gallery and Museum in Cheltenham) at 10.00am and were soon busy, along with six other ladies, learning how to make these translucent lanterns. I have never done any pottery/ceramics work before and Jeni had never worked in porcelain, so we were keen to learn – I think we were all novices on the course but it was amazing how successful we all were and what differing designs emerged. We had been asked to bring items to imprint onto the porcelain and I had brought a few shells, Jeni had brought some ivy leaves and dried flower stalks and there were some other bits and pieces brought by the tutor. It was a bit like using rolled out pastry, printing the design onto the flat surface and then wrapping it around a circular base and joining it with an overlapping seam. The course finished at 4pm with a three-quarter hour lunch break and by then I had made ten tealight holders! One of my favourites was a picture that I drew, using various blades on my penknife, to create a vista with hills, trees, a house and birds in the sky – when the tealight is lit it looks as if the windows in the house are all illuminated! The tutor took away all our efforts to fire in his studio kiln and then, a week later, I went back to retrieve two carrier bags of lanterns from the Guild of Gloucestershire Craftsmen's shop. It was really exciting unwrapping each holder to see how it had fired and I was really pleased with the effects once they were lit.

Tea light holder unassembled

I was all set for a quiet run up to Christmas after that, but I got an urgent email from my friends Geoff and Sally at Bristol asking if I could do an emergency farm sit as Sally had to go away for the weekend and Geoff had injured his ankle and was in plaster! So, off I went.

It was a beautiful sunny day so I decided to go the scenic route via Cirencester and Tetbury, rather than use the M5, as I would be able to enjoy the Cotswolds en route. The A435 runs south from Cheltenham to Cirencester and is a road I frequently use. As I drove along enjoying the golden light and long shadows of the midwinter sun I got to thinking about this road and how diverse it is.

At first there is the long steep climb up the Cotswold escarpment at Charlton Hill to the summit at Seven Springs where the road from Gloucester crosses it from west to east on its way across the Cotswolds. Seven Springs has long been disputed as the real source of the River Thames and it is certainly the source of the little River Churn that runs all the way along the A435 to Cirencester and eventually joins the Thames near Cricklade. When I was a Girl Guide (when the world was young!) I took my patrol on a hike to Seven Springs where we saw the springs bubbling out of the ground and the plaque that reads (in Latin) Here, Father Thames, is your seven-fold source. If you stop at the layby on the A417 near the burger van just before the junction with the A435 you can still see the pool where the springs emerge.

Just after that junction there is a farm on the left where there are 5 dark blue grain silos of varying sizes. These were my markers when I was a child because, when I spotted them, I knew we were nearly home from our holidays and I didn't need to ask 'Are we nearly there now?' Even after all these years I still think that I'm nearly there once I spot them on the horizon – I shall be very upset if they eventually decide to take them down! What is so amazing is how ell they have stood the test of time – they must be nearly sixty years old!

From there it is a gentle incline down the dip slope towards Cirencester passing Coberley, Cowley Colesbourne and Rendcomb with arable fields rolling away on either side. At this time of the year they either lie fallow or are sown with the fresh green of winter wheat and rooks rise lazily from their busy feeding as I sail along. At one point a small covey of partridges took flight from one field, flew across the road just above car height and clattered down into the field on the other side of the road and, during the shooting season large numbers of young pheasants can be seen wandering in a dazed fashion along the verges. Unfortunately, they do not have much experience of roads and cars and tend to learn the hard way about road safety!

Snowdrops at Rendcomb
The River Churn runs to the left hand side of the road after Colesbourne and can be seen very easily from a car. If, in springtime, you turn off the main road at Rendcomb you are rewarded with the most amazing display of snowdrops on both sides of the hump-back bridge which spans it at this point and where there was once a mill. It is a favourite outing with my Mum and I when we are in need of signs that Winter is ending and Spring is on its way. As I was driving towards Rendcomb through some mixed broadleaf woodland (mainly beech) I spotted about eight deer crossing the road from the wooded slope and disappearing down towards the stream on my left, their coats glowing a warm red in the low sunshine.

The next village is North Cerney and here is to be found Cerney House Gardens which are open to the public for most of the year. They have recently designed and created a Snowdrop Walk around the estate and they also have fabulous spring bulb displays, too. One quirky aspect of the gardens is that there is a little tea room within the garden where you can make yourself a cup of tea and have a piece of homemade cake, leaving payment in the Honesty Box.

The road curves and bends reflecting the meandering nature of the Churn at this point, as it weaves its drunken way through water meadows, which frequently flood in winter, and where the silent heron can often be seen waiting patiently for small fish to swim by. All the hedgerows are smothered with Old Man's Beard that looks, in the sunshine, for all the world like blossom – I have never seen as much of this plant anywhere else on my travels.

Finally, passing the old turnpike house on the right I enter Stratton and then into Cirencester itself, where I negotiate the ring road and head off towards Tetbury, passing the 'real' source of the Thames on my way! I love this route, especially in good weather, as it shows the Cotswolds off to perfection and there is always something interesting to see.

The farm sit went off without a hitch and Geoff was able to hobble around in a support boot – he has torn his Achilles tendon, after an argument with one of the Labradors – so was not such a bad patient as I'd been expecting! On Winter Solstice evening I was tending yet another bonfire in their field overlooking Bristol, looking at the twinkling lights on the suspension bridge and watching the sheep as they edged nearer to the circle of warmth. When I went to check on the fire later they were all gathered round and a few were lying down almost in the embers – such a lovely, peaceful, Christmassy scene!

I made it back to Cheltenham in time to make the mince pies and ice the Christmas Cake and then the festive season was upon us. My two children came on Christmas Eve and my sister and her family came on Christmas Day in time for lunch so there were eight of us around the table, followed by present opening and, much later, turkey sandwiches and Christmas cake around the fire. On the day after Boxing Day we all went our separate ways again and life resumed a quietness that had me feeling quite introspective.

I find New Year's Day probably the most difficult of the year, and I suspect that I am not alone in this, because it forces me to look back on the previous year and forward to the unknown. In future I think I will spend it entirely on my own and wallow as it was a huge effort to rise to the occasion of a visit from three of Mum's friends and I soon made my excuses and retired to my room. However, by 2nd January I was back on an even keel and ready to face the year ahead, as I hope you all are. I wonder what adventures I shall have in 2015? Whatever they are you can rest assured that I shall keep you all informed!


'Little house' tea light holder


No comments:

Post a Comment