Monday, 14 April 2014

The WWOOFing year begins!

No 74 (Lady) and her ewe lamb

On the 17th March I finally set off from Cheltenham to start my WWOOFing year by going down to Cornwall. The weather was dry and overcast but, as I reached Launceston, the sun came out and shone brilliantly on the primrose-speckled hedgebanks as I drove along. In places there were clumps of 'feral' daffodils, originally planted by those long ago Tamar Valley nurserymen who refused to lose all their hard work and heritage when the War Office said they had to grow food instead, and transferred their bulbs to the hedgebanks where they have flourished, bred and spread ever since.

I arrived to find that the old milking parlour in the yard was now just a shell, and all the accumulated detritus of years had been cleared away. Two men were busy knocking out the back wall which had been in imminent danger of collapse and, over the next three weeks I was to witness this phoenix rising from the ashes as Nick, Pat and Harry carefully rebuilt two of the walls, knocked out the concrete block infills between the original granite pillars, and restored the building to a semblance of its original self. Next time I go the new slate roof will be in place, resting on massive green oak beams that will span the four granite pillars at the front, there will be an oak-framed window in the back wall, looking down across the fields to the wood, and a 'squint' looking up the track past the house. Nick used to be a dairy farmer but he says he's better now – he just has beef cattle instead! Restoration of farm buildings started as a necessity on his own farm but, as his skill grew, he became sought-after by other people in the area to renovate their barns, etc.

Jo was away quite a lot of the first week, staying at her daughter's house about three miles away, as Mary had had a complicated operation and was unable to do much for herself and certainly couldn't get the children to school over near Tavistock, so it was easier for Jo to base herself there and for James and I to go over in the evenings for a meal. James was also due to be away for a few days so I, unexpectedly, did a farm sit for them. Luckily, most of the sheep were in paddocks near the farm and it was relatively easy to take out silage and sheep nuts to them once a day. The good weather that greeted my arrival did not last and I was soon reduced to wearing my waterproofs whenever I went outside, plus it turned much colder for a few days. Some of the sheep were right at the bottom of the farm, down a track through the woods and across a small stream, and I had to check them once a day, although they had plenty of hay in their hayrack so I didn't need to replenish that at all. However, my Achilles tendon started to play up after a couple of days so I commandeered the quad bike (I did have permission) and rode that down to the woods. It made life a great deal easier and was good fun – I even got into second gear at one point! I realised that it is probably the nearest I shall ever get to riding a motorbike, so made the most of it.

A week after I arrived at the farm, Jeni came down from Somerset to spend nearly a week helping, too. It was fantastic having her company and finally being able to show her the lovely oak woods and the Shepherd's Hut and the holiday barn conversion and all the other things that I have been talking about for so long. She has now been to nearly all of my 'regular' WWOOF hosts so can visualise more clearly what I am up to. We went and stayed in the holiday bungalow a little way along the lane from the farm so that we could have our own space, although we ate most meals with Jo and James.

One of the 'jobs' that I'd been saving until Jeni's arrival was the bonfire. I had tried (and failed) to have this bonfire back in the autumn and again in January, but the wet weather had made it impossible, so now was our moment (between rain showers!). There were three heaps of twigs and small branches that had been added to since the autumn and now there was some old cane furniture from the old milking parlour, plus one of the apple trees in the orchard had blown down in the storms, so we got to cut all the brashy bits off that, too. In true family tradition we kept that bonfire burning for three days, despite the rainy weather, and had a wonderful time – my hair still smelled of smoke after shampooing it twice!

The other main job was to get the barn ready for lambing and to bring the pregnant ewes inside. To this end, Jeni and I power-hosed all the sheep hurdles, feed troughs and hayracks, plus we scoured the farm for all the serviceable buckets and scrubbed them out, too. Once all the sheep hurdles were in place, James manoeuvred the large round bales of hay and straw, with the tractor, to form shelter barriers outside of these, and then we bedded up the whole area with fresh straw. The next day, Friday, we brought the pregnant ewes in from the field and split them into two groups in the barn – those that were going to have singles, and those that were going to have twins (or, in two cases, triplets) so that James could feed them different quantities of sheep pellets.

On Saturday we decided to revisit the Lost Gardens of Heligan that we had last been to in 2001, but this was not to be, as my little car, always so reliable, got about ten minutes away from the farm and then boiled over. The Peugeot has a slightly alarming beeper that goes off if there is something amiss and a red flashing sign saying 'STOP!', so I pulled over, rang my rescue service and waited for a knight in shining armour to turn up! Whilst we waited at the side of the road, instead of playing 'I Spy......something beginning with 'C'.....car!', I found a crochet hook and some wool in the depths of my boot and proceeded to give Jeni a lesson in the art (craft?) of crochet square making! The time went by quite quickly and, after about an hour, a cheerful chap in a white transit van turned up, found the leak (the hose at the bottom of the radiator), re-filled the system with water and escorted us back to the garage just down the road from the farm – not exactly a knight, but he'd do! You should always be careful what you wish for, as Jeni and I had wanted to go to the pub, called The Springer Spaniel, for Mother's Day lunch but they were fully booked but, as we had to walk right past it on the way back to the farm to get Jeni's little car, we decided to call in and see if we could have Saturday lunch instead! It was delicious and well- worth it – no wonder they'd been fully booked, but it did mean that we had to curtail our outing, so we went north to Boscastle instead, with me at the wheel and The Navigator back in charge of the route!

On Sunday, we went to Looe on the south coast by way of many places that even Cornishmen don't know about! At one point, as we bounced down a rutted lane with grass growing in the middle of it, I thought we were going to end up in a farmyard but, miraculously, the lane carried on through the farmyard and eventually met up with a slightly bigger lane and then we were on the road to Looe. We ate pasties, bought in Looe, on the pebbly beach at Talland Bay and then meandered back to the bungalow where Jeni packed her things and drove back to Somerset – suddenly the light seemed a little dimmer, and the day lost its glow.

However, I wasn't able to mope for long as things were revving up in the lambing shed. On Tuesday I helped James gather all the lambing equipment together on a table next to the pens – iodine for putting on the navels, bottles and stomach tubes for any weak lambs, syringes, needles, gloves and all the paraphernalia required in a busy maternity unit! On Thursday evening the first lamb put in an appearance (a few days earlier than dates would have indicated) and we were away! By the time I left, on the following Thursday, eleven ewes had already lambed of an expected twenty seven – Henry, the new stock ram, had obviously taken his new job very seriously! I'm sure you are all wondering about No 74 (aka 'Lady', the miracle sheep) and I am pleased to report that on the day before I was leaving she produced a pretty little ewe lamb – mother and baby are doing well!

Another of the jobs that I did was to trim and tidy the willow 'folly' down by the pond. It is gradually getting quite well established, despite being savaged by the hedge trimmer on one side last year, and all the new growth needed to be woven into the structure, or cut off, to keep the dome shape. Finding myself with quite a lot of long, supple willow wands, I decided to construct something in my spare time, rather than throw them on the bonfire heap – so I made a willow sheep (what else!) for Jo and James to place outside their Shepherd Hut, in the field above the pond. It was lovely working down by the pond, especially on the Tuesday afternoon when it was warm and sunny, the only sounds being the gentle trickle of water from the pond overflow and the birdsong from the woods below me. I'm not much good at willow weaving and felt a bit frustrated that the vision in my head would not translate into reality in my hands but, it felt fantastic to be out in the open air, creating something and feeling, if not fully happy, at least content.

On Thursday, 10th April, I repacked my (repaired) little car and drove towards Bristol and a farm sitting job.

The Willow Sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment